On June 3, 1889, Southwestern College graduated its first class, a class of only three students. Look around you today. SC is doing its best to accommodate some of the largest classes it has ever seen, and change is always happening. The campus is continuously incorporating new ideas and programs. It’s hard to imagine that the current student body shares anything in common with that first graduating class, but we do.

One particular tradition has stood the test of time. Homecoming 2010 kicks off the 125th birthday of the college and will feature many of the same activities and events seen in years past. Students may notice that the Iron Chef event has been replaced by Cupcake Wars. Each organization will be given a different secret ingredient that must be used in their cake creation. Other events that may catch students’ eyes are the Intensity Game Show, the Dodge Ball Tournament, and the parade. “I always go to the parade and the game. Go Builders!” said Lai-L Clemons, director of campus life. This is Clemons’ first year overseeing the Homecoming events.

Melissa Williamson, assistant director of campus life, also helps coordinate Homecoming activities. Williamson helps to organize the king and queen candidates and the coronation. She is in her third year of serving as advisor to the SGA. Her favorite part is definitely the bonfire. “Everybody comes together to hang out and it’s just fun,” she said. Williamson has seen Homecoming as both a student and alumna, and has this advice for students, “Homecoming is one of our biggest traditions at SC.
Everything is for you. Go along for the ride and enjoy it.”

Here’s a quick look at the weekend’s lineup: Sept. 30 is the debut of The Richardson Fire Project. “It’s going to be great. There are a lot of historical goodies in it,” said Jessica Trout, technical theatre freshman, who is stage manager for the show. The play will also be performed on Saturday and Sunday.

On Friday the SC Career Fair will take place in the Java Jinx during the morning and early afternoon. The Kaleidoscope concert, featuring the A Cappella Choir and SC Singers, will begin at 8 p.m. in Richardson Hall. The bonfire will follow at 9:30 p.m. on the north end of the soccer field.

Then, hang on to your hats, because Saturday is packed with things to do and see. The Homecoming parade will begin at 9:30 a.m. on Main Street. An Outreach Worship Service is scheduled for 11:15 a.m. The football game begins at 1:30 p.m.

Sunday wraps everything up with a historic homes tour, followed by the final performance of The Richardson Fire Project at 3 p.m.
Schedules are posted all over campus and a complete lineup can be found online at http://www.sckans.edu/alumni-and-friends/homecoming.

Erin Morris is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at erin.morris@sckans.edu.