ABOVE: Hailey Rouse, midfield/ forward sophomore, pushes the ball down the field. The Lady Builder soccer team was defeated by Oklahoma Wesleyan in the semifinals of the KCAC Tournament 5-0. (RJay McCoy/Staff photographer)

By Joshua Eibl

Women’s soccer’s historic season comes to an end in the KCAC Tournament semifinal after a 5-0 loss against the No. 1 seed and No. 13 ranked Oklahoma Wesleyan.

The Builders won the quarterfinal against the No. 5 seed Bethel 2-1 to reach their first KCAC Tournament semifinal since 2013.

Joe Wood, head women’s soccer coach, said, “The girls came out, worked and played hard.”

“Oklahoma is a good team and probably one of the best that has ever been in the conference,” said Wood.

Oklahoma Wesleyan finished the regular season with a record of 11-0 and took down No. 8 seed Tabor 7-0 in the KCAC quarterfinal.

“We don’t have it very often that a team in the conference is ranked in the top 15 in the nation and they have two good players on top that kept our defense on our toes the whole game,” said Wood.

Ashley Soderlund, sophomore goalkeeper, said, “We were hoping for a closer game.”

Oklahoma Wesleyan outshot the Builders with 29-6 shots and 10-2 shots on goal.

“The battle was to keep playing and to stick with it. I think we turned it on in the second half and had a couple of chances to put one in,” said Soderlund.

Soderlund made five saves for the Builders.

Wood said, “One of our biggest struggles going into this game were the injuries because we’ve had a number of injuries in the last few weeks at practice and we had an injury in the game as well.”

“We got some players who were playing in new positions today and we weren’t necessarily at full force and then it’s hard to beat a team like Oklahoma Wesleyan,” said Wood.

Oklahoma Wesleyan will take on the No. 2 seed Kansas Wesleyan in the KCAC Tournament final.

Soderlund said, “I’m so proud of how we played and how far we came this season.”

Wood said, “It’s good for the team to make it to the semifinal and to break a win record so most of the season has been a success.”

“The girls worked hard and came along well as a family. I feel like everybody is taking steps to improve and the program did that as well,” said Wood.

Soderlund said, “This season was strange with COVID and very long, but this was a great season for our girls!”

The Lady Moundbuilders end their season with a record of 11-5.

“Most seasons have to end with a loss and ours was today,” said Wood.