By Morgan Givney

Next Tuesday marks the beginning of a fresh season for the Lady Builder volleyball team as they face their first opponent, Barclay College. They hope to improve their 2010 season record of 2-23 overall and 1-16 in conference.

“We would like to re-invent the team’s image in the upcoming season,” said Taylor Kinnamon, senior middle.

Teammate Kindell Copeland, senior setter, has a personal goal for the season. “My goal is to make an All-Conference team,” said Copeland.

Both players agreed that their teammates are one of their favorite things about playing volleyball. “A great group of girls has kept me going,” said Copeland.

In addition to high hopes and expectations, this season has brought a new face to the team. Donnie Wallace, head volleyball coach, has taken over the program and changed the style of play for the Lady Builders. This will be Wallace’s ninth year as a volleyball coach. He said that his ultimate goal for the program is to win a national championship. He hopes to reach this by meeting a bunch of little goals the team has set.

“My style of coaching has a ton of enthusiasm and energy, which I challenge the players to match,” said Wallace. He keeps the team motivated by keeping the energy high and incorporating fun games while competing.

Copeland describes the team as being “brand new.”

Kinnamon said fans can look forward to seeing more enthusiasm and a new, fast-paced offense. “(Wallace) has put a lot of time and effort into the program and has a passion for volleyball,” said Kinnamon
The Lady Builders first match is set for 6 p.m. Aug. 30 in Stewart Field House.

Morgan Givney is a freshman with an undecided major. You may e-mail her at morgan.givney@sckans.edu.