Trey Bruton, mathematics sophomore, runs ahead of Jacob Hiel, Tabor junior, during the halfway mark of the KCAC Championships race at McPherson. Bruton finished 17th overall and will be headed to nationals with the rest of the men's team. (Clinton Dick/Collegian photographer)

By Cristelle Tejes

November 19 the 56th Annual men’s and 32nd annual women’s National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics championships will take place at the Fort Vancouver National Historic Site in Vancouver, Wash.

The men’s team received an at-large team bid of seven runners, Frank Adelman, Carrington Crum, Colton McNinch, Sam McDaniel, Trey Burton, Daniel VanSickle and Eric Anders. For the women’s team Jennifer Hendrixson received an individual bid for the national race by virtue of her performance at the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference championship.

“I felt this season has been pretty successful so far. The team and I have both improved as the season has gone along and are near our highest fitness we’ve ever been,” said Colton McNinch, biochemistry sophomore.

The men’s team has running between eight and 12 miles a day to keep in shape. “To prepare for nationals, I am just keeping everything the same. Coach knows where he wants us and we will be at our best when we step on that nationals course,” said Sam McDaniel, business sophomore.

Jennifer Hendrixson, business administration senior, said with focus she can achieve great things at nationals. Her goals are to break 19 minutes and be in the top 75. “I think since it’s going to be my last cross country race ever, that it’s going to give me a lot of motivation to do well and achieve my goals and compete at a high potential.”

Preparing for national’s, Hendrixson is doing all the workouts coach has planned. She is doing three morning runs during the week and getting motivated and focused on her last cross country race.

“It makes me sad to be the only girl to qualify. I love my teammates so much and we are all so close. I wish they could come have this great experience with me. It’s going to be weird not having them on the starting line with me, but I know they will be there in spirit cheering me on,” said Hendrixson.

Cristelle Tejes is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at cristelle.tejes@sckans.edu.