By Keilah Chambers

After a long summer of staying up and sleeping in, the alarm clock is not your friend. When you want to take a nap but still have more classes, socializing, and homework on top of an already full day, things can be overwhelming. The key factor in balancing all this is a good night’s sleep.

A good night’s sleep isn’t always easy but can be attained by following some common sense tips.

Steve Kramer, assistant director for advising and student success, said “Sleep is a precious commodity in college.  There are so many things to be a part of and there is pressure to cut back on sleep to do them.” He offered a few suggestions to help manage your sleep:

•  Get into a sleep routine.  Start the sleep process at the same time each night.  Establish a routine: shower, brush teeth, read a physical book, and turn off the lights.
  •  Don’t read or play games from any electronic device if you are trying to sleep.  The light emitting from them will keep your mind active and make it harder to fall asleep
  • Don’t study where you sleep.  Your mind and body likes routines.  If you study in bed you may find that you have a hard time staying awake because your mind and body associate your bed with sleep.

Sounds easy enough to manage, right? Well no, but all things come with practice.

Dan Falk, dean of students, said “Naps are a privilege not a right. If you get your homework done you have earned a nap.”

Falk also offered some important tips for new students coping with all the changes of college:

Do your homework outside of your room.

• Say no to activities when you have homework or an early class.
  • Set a final time to get things done.
  • Set goals and keep them.
  • Have a set bedtime.

The goal is to stay organized and manage your sleep to have more focused day.

“You are paying $55 per class hour– that’s about how much you spend on gas” Falk advised. “You should not waste your money and time.”

With time and practice, you can establish a sensible routine building in a good night’s sleep. Good night and good luck finding that balance.

Keilah Chambers is a senior majoring in communication.  You may email her at Keilah.chambers@sckans.edu