Sanchez

By Alissa Sheppard

Ruben Sanchez, head men’s soccer coach, resigned Wednesday, after four years at the reigns of the men’s soccer program. “It was a decision between my fiancée’ and myself,” said Sanchez. He said he is ready to start his family. Sanchez made the choice to leave now because it was perfect timing. “I did not want to leave the guys high and dry, I want someone to be able to come in, in enough time so they can move forward,” said Sanchez.

Keeping the program running smoothly and keeping the guys going is what Joseph Yeisly, interim head men’s soccer coach said. “We had a great group of guys this year and my main objective is to keep this special group of guys going so whoever takes over this program will have a great start,” said Yeisly.

“I think that with the recruiting class that was brought in this last year, we have an upgrade in talent, we have improved our competitiveness and overall growth” said Dave Denly, director of athletics. The new coach has got a situation where he will get a lot of talent due to the work Sanchez has put in this past year. “I think Ruben’s genuine excitement for soccer, love for Southwestern and passion to build the soccer team are his biggest contributions, he worked hard over the last four years,” said Denly.

Denly said he hopes to start the hiring process as soon as possible, hopefully the first part of next week. “This is something we want to do and move on with as soon as we can but we want to find the best candidate for the position,” said Denly, who has high priorities for this position.

“Whoever comes in next is going to have very talented team next year,” said Scott Rethorst, senior midfielder. Rethorst is the only senior on this year’s squad and has been a player under Sanchez since his first year as head coach.

“We went through a lot in the past four years,” said Rethorst. “He was always encouraging guys to use their heads. He cared about the program.”

Sanchez does not know what the future holds for him. “I am leaving my options open, but if somebody gives me the opportunity that I had at SC I would certainly take up on it,” said Sanchez.

Leaving behind these words “keep on building” Sanchez wants the team to stay strong and keep moving forward.

Alissa Sheppard is a senior majoring in communication, you may contact her at alissa.sheppard@sckans.edu.