By Paige Carswell

Perhaps, it’s not for everyone.

The latest installment of the beloved series about the boy wizard, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, may put off the less nerdy of us who were expecting more action, and hoping for a story line that is easily followed.

It is a pleasant surprise, though, for those of us who have been waiting around in our Gryffindor socks for the next movie to come.

The plot line (probably rightly) assumes that we know what’s going on at this point in the show, as the Saw series assumes everyone has watched the first and second one if they have watched the third.

We are dropped off in the middle of Harry (Daniel Radcliffe), Ron (Rupert Grint) and Hermione (Emma Watson) bidding farewell to each of their families, knowing they have to go on a quest in which they’ll be lucky to return at all—much less by Christmas.

Staying away from their loved ones to keep them from certain danger, they travel through the land, looking for horcruxes to destroy and keeping from the snatchers. The goal in this is to diminish Voldemort’s (Ralph Fiennes) power enough to eventually take him on head-to-head.

Hardly ever slow, the movie picks up and slows down with great pace, from Ron and Hermione’s romantic subplot to the battle with the snake in Godric’s Hollow.

The biggest surprise, though, is how much Radcliffe, Grint and Watson have grown as actors. What began as almost a painful beginning to the series, watching the three attempt to play the parts that I had loved so much, as transformed into an enjoyable experience—or at least one where the audience doesn’t leave, crying, “Why? Why them?”

The dropoff at the end of the movie would leave anyone wanting more, if they didn’t know what was to happen next, or that the series is about to come to an end.

For the fans, though, we can wait for the next with a sad anticipation, hoping that perhaps there will be a new way to relive the experience the books and movies have provided us that will make the end of an era less painful.

Paige Carswell is a senior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at paige.carswell@sckans.edu.