By Paige Carswell

Scholar of the College seems to imply, to most, that the recipient must be one of those people who loves books more than friends. To Lexy Teeter, biology senior, it’s just proof that she’s worked hard over the last three years.

The Scholar of the College is recognized each fall at opening convocation. The selection is made from full-time campus seniors who have completed 85 hours, at least 20 of them at Southwestern. The person recognized cannot have received a degree or have received the honor before.

Teeter is from Ulysses. She decided to come to Southwestern because of both the biology program and the small-school feel, she said. Teeter is president of Tri-Beta and part of the Green Team on campus.

Lyndsie Oathout, biology senior, has lived with Teeter for the past three years, and although Teeter likes to stay on top of her school work, Oathout said she isn’t afraid to have fun.

“She might be a little upset with me for mentioning this, but we have some extreme dance parties in our room all the time,” Oathout said. “Lexy and the rest of our roommates have a lot of fun together, from watching movies and eating popcorn to creating new ways to slide down the staircase in our apartment. There is definitely never a dull moment with us.”

Oathout also said that Teeter treats school like everything else she does.

“She is that type of person who puts her whole self into everything she does – she sees things through until the end and makes sure they are done right,” Oathout said.

Teeter said that if she had advice for freshman, it would be to not fall behind in classwork and set priorities.

“Just stay on top of things,” Teeter said. “I mean, a lot of people get carried away with everything else that goes with school. I just think it’s important to spread your time out. It’s still possible to have fun and do well in school.”

Paige Carswell is a junior majoring in journalism. You may e-mail her at paige.carswell@sckans.edu.