By Jacob Jimmerson

The Builders roared back in the second half after trailing 21 to 3 at half. They fell just short of a comeback as they fell to Kansas Wesleyan 42 to 37. The Builders have a lot to build off from their best performance of the season, but are disappointed with the loss.

Ken Crandall, head football coach,  said, “You have to win all three facets of the game and we lost the special teams battle tonight. You can’t do that and win ball games. But I am proud of the guys for fighting back after the first half.”

Crandall had a lot to say about the play of his quarterback. Crandall said, “Tyler improved greatly. He had a rough first half and there were a few drops. But he did a great job of coming out the second half and playing a heck of a ball game. He had problems overthrowing the ball in the first half. But he fixed it in the second half.”

Anthony Sims, junior running back,  had an excellent game on the ground. Crandall said, “Sims was wonderful, any time you rack up 195 yards rushing it’s a good thing. Obviously we needed to win the game as well. But it was an excellent game running the ball for us.”

On defense the linebackers played excellent tonight. Crandall said, “Paul Mata and Eric Walker both had wonderful games tonight. I saw both of them make some big hits and they both had a lot of tackles as well. We need them to continue that into the following games.”

The Builders had a rough time turning the ball over four times. Crandall said, “We can’t turn over the ball that much and win a game. We had two turnovers on special teams and two turnovers on offense. And the Coyotes capitalized on almost all of those with points. It really cost us the game.”

The defensive line played well in the game. Crandall said, “I thought Michael Bell played great tonight. I also thought Perez has played well since we moved him to the three technique. Ricky Higuera played a good game tonight as well. We need to build off of this performance and get better.”

The Builders play a top 25 team in Friends next weekend. Crandall said, “We need to work on us the next two days and get  better. We need to get in the film room and see where we need to improve and then make a scheme for Friends. We want to make them pass the ball on us to beat us. We can’t let them run the ball on us all night.”

The offensive line had a huge night for the Builders. Crandall said, “I thought the offensive line played very well tonight. Matt Thompson had a big game and he is our anchor. He makes all the calls at the line and there is a lot of responsibility on him. He has a nasty side to him on the field as well that makes him a feared lineman by the other teams.”

Skylor Kistler, senior wide receiver,  had a big-time game for the builders. He caught two long touchdown passes. Kistler said, “I knew that I could get some big plays tonight with the one on one coverage. I was just able to take advantage of that and it was big. Hopefully I can continue to make some big plays.”

The Builders improved a lot in the second half. Kistler said, “We just finished in the second half and that was the difference. We didn’t finish in the first half and we knew what we needed to do in the second half. We just need to put together a full game now.”

Looking forward to Friends next week, Kistler knows what the Builders need to do. Kistler said, “We need to get in the film room and just get better. We didn’t execute a full game tonight and we need to see our mistakes and improve off of them.”

Anthony Sims had a career day with 195 yards on the ground. Sims said, “I knew I was going to get more carries tonight and I took advantage of that. I was battling a hamstring injury the last few weeks and I was feeling great this week.”

Sims has a lot to look forward to after this game. Sims said, “I just need to build off of this performance and use it as fuel. I know I can play this good every game and I just need to get out there and do it.”

When asked about the improvement after the first half Sims said, “We just executed in the second half. We saw our mistakes and improved off of them. We finished drives.”

The Builders will play Friends University next Saturday in Winfield. The kick-off is set to be at 6 p.m.

Jacob Jimmerson is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may email him at jacob.jimmerson@sckans.edu.