Three Lady Builders were named 2012 Daktonics National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Scholar Athletes. Catherine Haikin, senior guard, Kimberly Kellogg, senior guard, and Kristy Herman, junior guard, were the Lady Builders who were recognized. Haikin and Kellogg won the award for a second year in a row.

The three players helped the women’s basketball team to finish with a record of 23-9 overall and 15-3 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference. The Lady Builders earned their fourth trip to the national tournament in school history.

Haikin is a 5-8 guard from Crescent, Okla. She played 30 games for the Lady Builders this season. Haikin scored 16 field goals out of 50 shot attempts. She made three three-point goals of 15. Catherine finished the season with 55 total points.

Kellogg is a 5-3 guard from Wichita. Kellogg played 11 games, scoring one field goal of four attempts. She had three assists as well as three steals. Kellogg finished her final season with two total points.

“It is always fun to win an award, but I never work hard solely for the purpose of winning an award,” said Kellogg. “It’s nice to get recognized but there is so much more to being a student athlete than collecting awards, it is about the experience.”

Herman is the only non-senior to get recognized from Southwestern. She is a 5-6 guard from Rose Hill. Herman played all the 32 games. Kristy is the fifth highest scorer for the Builders. She finished with 48 field goals out of 152 attempts. She also made 22 out of 84 shots from beyond the arch.

The NAIA Scholar Athletes award is awarded to those athletes who fulfill four requirements. They have to be a junior or a senior in academic standing. They also have to be in attendance at the nominating institution for a minimum of one year and have a grade point average of 3.4 in a 4.0 scale at the time of nomination.

Angel Vadillo is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at angel.vadillo@sckans.edu.