By Jonathan Woon

When they realized they were getting out of shape, they had to do something. While you are sound asleep, three young men gather at the top of the 77 steps to do Insanity.

Nathan Johnson, computer science senior, Johnathan Doffing, computer science senior, and Matthew Seely, computer science junior, meet every weekday to work out.

On Insanity’s official website, www.beachbody.com, it claims “Insanity may well be the hardest workout program ever put on DVD.” The fitness program is well known for its intense and fast-paced workouts.

Johnson said that serious will power is essential to successfully complete the program because of the extreme nature of Insanity.

On the other hand, Doffing finds company the key to completing the workout. “Having people do the workout with you helps especially at that early in the morning,” said Doffing. “There will be days when one or two of us don’t wake up but the other will and everyday somebody makes everyone do it.”

Seely said, “Exercising with friends is the best way to stay inspired and encouraged even when the exercises become too much.”

Just three weeks into the two-month schedule, Johnson is already noticing the difference. “I’m already way more flexible than when I started,” said Johnson. He also said that his overall health has improved from the straight 45-minute cardio every morning.

There is a major draw to the workout. Johnson said, “We do insanity because all the resistance training is done with body weight, no dumbbells or anything needed.”

The overall cost to complete the workout is the instructional DVD and persistent drive for completion.

For students, finding time to work out together as a group in a systematic manner can be tough. Hence, the trio decided to sacrifice some sleep and gather for the workout at 6:30 a.m. “We all have ridiculous schedules and early morning is the only time our schedules are free,” said Johnson.

Though some may argue that toned muscles seen on television are the wonders of Photoshop, Johnson is determined to have muscles just like those. “We plan to do it until we look like the people in the video,” said Johnson.

Not everyone is recommended to go through the intense program. Johnson said, “This workout recommends that you see a doctor before starting to see if you are fit enough, so it might not be for everyone.”

Jonathan Woon is a senior majoring in communication. You can email him at jonathan.woon@sckans.edu.