By Dalton Carver
Opinion editor

Jerry Roush, once considered a mercenary in the hardcore music scene, finally has an act to call his very own. Making an appearance as the vocalist in bands such as Sky Eats Airplane and Of Mice and Men, Roush has united with Joshua Travis, formerly guitarist for the Tony Danza Tap Dance Extravaganza, Chad Hasty, drummer, and Travis Sykes, bassist, to create Glass Cloud, a brand new band in the metalcore scene. With the recent release of their first album, The Royal Thousand, the quartet is starting to turn some heads.

The album kicks off with their first single, White Flag, one of the strongest tracks on the release. It’s a nice introduction to the rest of the songs, showcasing the talents of every member of the band. Roush’s rough screams go surprisingly well with his much smoother vocals. Both his screamed and clean vocals are very similar to his stint with Sky Eats Airplane, possibly a product of not being directly involved with music for a while. It’s definitely not a bad thing, as he was popular during that period, just as his popularity will rise once again during this one. Travis, an eight-string guitarist, definitely shows off his talent as well, something that if it wasn’t well known before, it will be now. It’s as fast and note-saturated as it is heavy and thumping, and paired with the groove-heavy bass work of Sykes, listeners will be treated with plenty of head banging material. The drumming, like the guitars, is very tight and controlled, being unleashed only on blistering, detuned breakdowns. As well as playing guitar, Travis also sat at the helm for the production and editing of the album, and just as his guitar work, it is very technical, tight, and well done. He gives some of the songs an aura that most metal bands can’t produce, pushing Glass Cloud to the forefront of the scene.

Although Glass Cloud is strong in the technical and musical area, they falter a bit in the writing department. Some of it seems just too straightforward, lacking flair and creative touch. At other times, the words really had me searching for his thoughts behind them. It could be that the band focused so much on the technical aspect that it flowed over a bit into the writing, which could be easily remedied on the next release. Along with this, some of the songs just seem to miss the mark, coming off as uninteresting and not giving the listeners anything to remember right off the bat.

If you liked Sky Eats Airplane, you will find much to love about Glass Cloud, minus the electronic and techno additions of the former. In addition, if you enjoy technical and heavy bands, you’ll love Joshua Travis’ work, which is strongly complimented by his leadership in the studio. Overall, The Royal Thousand is an ambitious release that finally sees vocalist Jerry Roush back on the microphone as well as an up and coming band that will threaten to break the wall of mold that the hardcore scene has created in the past few years.

Dalton Carver is a sophomore majoring in communication. You can contact him at dalton.carver@sckans.edu.