By Hanna House

Our school prides itself on being green. There are multiple recycling bins in every building on campus and throughout the month of February, they will have a little more meaning behind them.

Starting Jan. 18 and going until March, Southwestern is competing in Recyclemania. The school with the most recycling throughout this time frame gets full bragging rights.

“Recyclemanina itself is a national competition that about 600 or so colleges and universities from around the US compete in every year. There are several different sections or competitions within Recyclemania,” said Jason Speegle, director of Green Team.

Speegle mentioned that Southwestern competes in a couple different categories. The main ones SC competes in are categories that measure how much recycling we raised compared to the number of full time students. This is what lets smaller schools compete with the bigger ones.

The Green Team has been competing in this competition for as long as it has been around, so about six years. Now, the Green Team has gone to single stream bins for convenience for the students but that makes their job tougher for measuring purposes.

“We also do electronics recycling. Last year actually we were the E-cyclemania national champions,” said Speegle. The team held an E-waste collection that was open to the community. The Winfield community responded heavily and helped the team post impressive numbers.

This year, they plan on extending the collection to Ark City as well in hopes of being back-to-back champions.

Overall, the main goal for Recyclemania to Kali Brewer, biology and chemistry freshman, is to get people recycling around campus. To raise participation among the dorms, the team will award a pizza party to the dorm that recycles the most.

“It is trying to promote recycling, to get recycling out there and [it’s] trying to teach people about recycling-about what it does, what are some harmful effects of not recycling,” said Brewer.

Hanna House is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may email her at hanna.house@sckans.edu.