Green Team is an interactive, educational program that empowers students to better the environment through recycling, reduction, reuse, and composting. Starting in the month of October, the Green Team is starting a program called Dorm Wars. This war will be between all the dorms at Southwestern College.

During Green Team Wars, the Green Team is asking for all of the students to save energy by turning off the water when it’s not being used, unplugging phone chargers when not charging your phone, and turning off your TV if you are leaving your room.

“The reason why we are doing this is because we are thinking about our future generations, we need to save our resources before we run out and people need to learn how to recycle more,” said Ashley Bruno, biology freshman.

The Green Team started a trial this week solely to see how much energy we really use on a weekly basis. Beginning next week, however, the war begins. It should be an exciting war, as even the students seem to have a positive attitude towards Green Team’s efforts.

“I think it’s a good idea. It gets a small effort to get the entire student body involved,” said Cori Richardson, psychology junior.

Members of the Green Team are expecting great things from how this war will turn out. “We are expecting a lot of participation from our student body just so we can make our college environment a greener place,” said Cali Portenier psychology freshman.

“It’s the little things that makes a big difference,” said Bruno.

Kaitlynn Munoz is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email her at kaitlynn.munoz@sckans.edu.