By Min Jiao

Green Team is trying to start jump campus participation in composting. It is restricted to Warren Apartments for the time being.

Daniel VanSickle, business junior, is leading the composting effort. He said “We can use food that’s being wasted or scraps when they are cooking vegetables or stuff that we can’t use, like banana peels, so it can be put to good use.”

Jason Speegle, director of Green Team, said “Composting is a way to reduce the amount of waste we send to the landfill.”

Speegle said composting was tried about four years ago in Warren. “We are starting it up in Warren again. Basically, the students will collect the compostable materials. We have a bin out behind Warren there they will dump all of the stuff.”

Resident will decide whether or not to participate. Justine Anthony, early childhood education junior, lives in Warren. She said “I think it’s a good idea. I think our apartment is going to do it. It’s a convenience and it will be easy.”

Speegle said “Warren has kitchen and stoves. They purchase more of this stuff, like eggs and coffee grounds. Somebody in Cole Hall or Wallingford, they don’t have kitchens, so they probably don’t make their own food.”

Those who live in Warren have been given a small bin with instructions. Resident can contribute to the effort by composting fresh uncooked fruit and vegetables, vegetable and fruit peelings, coffee grounds and filters and tea bags, egg shells, and green leaves from plants, and flowers. “They can put the right materials in the bin instead in the trash,” said Speegle.

VanSickle said, “Basically what they can do is make sure they put their food scraps into a composting container, dump it behind Warren and then we take care of the rest.”

Anthony said, “I’m going to do that. My roommate is anyway. So I’ll probably just throw stuff in there that I don’t use.”

VanSickle said, “The benefit is that you are using what would normally go to waste, or going into the dump where it’s not going to do any good because it is rotting away with all the other trash. It’s taking that and using it to grow food in personal gardens, or growing flowers.”

Alex Gottlob has a landscaping business in Winfield. He will pick it up and take it to his composting pile.

“The composting can be used for soil enrichment. It can be used to help flowers grow stronger,” said Speegle.

Speegle said, “Environmentally speaking, the less stuff we can take to the landfill, the better. Our landfills are filling up with lots of trash. That’s the benefit for the environment and that’s why I thought it would be a good idea to do.”

VanSickle said “We are starting small now, so we are making sure Warren residents are following instructions and get it off to a good start.”

“I’d love for all the apartments in Warren to participate,” said Speegle. “I don’t know how many have chosen to participate, but it would be nice if they all did.”

Min Jiao is a junior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her min.jiao@sckans.edu.