By Alejandra Rojas

Being a freshman can be difficult. After four years the experience leaves seniors with fond memories.

Jason Bond, history senior, said when he was a freshman he considered himself young and oblivious to the college world. “I expected that this was going to be new and knew it was going to be a challenge,” he said.

Bond said what helped him the most during college were his professors, coaches, family and friends. “I’m more confident now and the experiences I have faced will help me with the decision in the future,” he said.

Lacey Hibbs, liberal arts senior, said she didn’t have any expectations for the school or the programs at Southwestern. “I wasn’t sure which paths I would end up wanting to take and was trying to keep an open mind,” she said.

As a senior, Hibbs said she wishes she wouldn’t have take any day or experience for granted. “I wish I would have believed all the people that told me that college was the best time of my life and have taken their advice to heart,” she said.

Four years later, Hibbs said she feels like she knows who she is. “Now I understand so much about who I am as a person, leader, and I have found and accepted new values,” she said.

Rachel Muth, history senior, said she doesn’t remember much about her expectations of college. “I remember being really nervous that I wouldn’t be able to make it. I think I was pretty naïve freshman year and I didn’t realize exactly what I was getting into,” she said.

Muth said she thinks over the years she has became more independent and responsible. “It’s one of the hardest and most challenging things,” she said.

Taggart Wall, history senior, said when he was a freshman he expected classes to be more difficult than in high school. “It turns out I was right. I really had a hard time balancing the activities and the academics at first, but I figured it out,” he said. “I thought that I was a little too arrogant at times, so I actually came into college trying to be a quiet voice and an observer.”

Wall said his four years at Southwestern changed over time. “It’s crazy, but when you define yourself by the things you do rather than the person you are, those things can shake your world when they happen,” he said.

Luke Garis, game development senior, said as a freshman he didn’t know what do in regards of his major or even college. “I have learned a lot and have gained experience from the projects and assignments the professors have given me,” he said.

Garis said his experience as Southwestern was positive. “I pretty much enjoyed being in college and getting to learn stuff for my future job,” he said.

Wall said his faith and determination to be the best person is what kept him going throughout college. “I think life is a process of learning and growing and college has been a great introduction of this. It’s better to take advantage of the fun things in life when they come. Never be afraid to go out on the dance floor or try something very new to you. You never know, you might like it,” he said.

Alejandra Rojas is a senior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at