Jonathan Torres, freshman midfielder, fends off a st. Gregory player during play Friday at home. The Builders defeated St. Gregory 1-0, improving to a recod of 4-4. (Carly Budd/Collegian photographer)

Alejandra Rojas

The Moundbuilder men’s soccer team found the back of the net during the second half of the match as they defeated St. Gregory 1-0 at home Friday. The lone goal gave the Builders their second consecutive win making their overall record 4-4 in non-conference play.

Edgar Gonzaga, freshman attacking midfielder scored the only goal of the match for the Builders. He said he was pretty excited about scoring his first goal of the season.

“Ruben and I had talked about me scoring,” he said. “When I scored I didn’t know what to do, so I ran and hugged Ruben and dedicated it to him,” said Gonzaga.

Ruben Sanchez, head men’s coach said he felt the men came out flat during the first half, but worked hard to maintain the score 0-0.

“It gave us an opportunity to come out the second half and create opportunities,” he said. “They played real well and we got a break.”

Daniel Forsyth, junior goalkeeper said he felt the team played extremely well.

“We played well on defense. We haven’t won at home in about two or three years, so this meant a lot to us,” said Forsyth.

The Builder’s prepare to face Central Christian College Tuesday.

“We will continue to do what we always do, practice and stay focused,” said Sanchez. “A lot of the credit at practice goes to coach Yeisley,” he said.

Forsyth also said the team will prepare for the next match by staying focused.

“They gave us our only win last year,” said Forsyth. “They’re going to come in looking for a win against us, but you can expect us not to go down without a fight.”

Alejandra Rojas is a senior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at alejandra.rojas@sckans.edu.