Bobby Weidner, business administration sophomore, practices his chipping skills at the Winfield Country Club. The men’s team won the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference tournament yesterday to send them to the national tournament in May.

Bobby Weidner, business administration sophomore, practices his chipping skills at the Winfield Country Club. The men’s team won the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference tournament yesterday to send them to the national tournament in May. Photo by Clint Dick / Collegian Photographer

Going into the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference golf tournament in Garden City Monday and Tuesday, Kenneth Wright, business administration senior, was a little bit nervous.

But, he still expected his team to win.

The men ended the first round up by 12 and dropped to up by two after the second round. In the third round, they battled back again.

“The weight lifted off of our shoulders and we were just happy we were winning,” said Wright.

The men ended up winning by five, which means team is going to nationals.

The National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics tournament is May 18 to 21 in Silvis, Ill. Schools representing all parts of the country will compete.

Wright and the other members of the team may have different individual goals, but his goal for the team is simple.

“Hopefully we’ll go make a good showing and play well,” said Wright. “We just want to show we belong there.”

Raleigh Hughes, business administration sophomore, led the men with a 70/77/75, followed by Bobby Weidner, business administration sophomore, with a 74/85/73, Jared Paul, business administration senior, with 80/80/74, Jordan Lytton, business administration, sophomore, with an 81/85/70 and Wright with a 76/81/80. Brad Sexson, head coach, was awarded the KCAC Golf Coach of the Year for his efforts.

The men and women split for the 26 and 27. The women traveled to Oklahoma City for their KCAC tournament. Courtney Huppert, business administration sophomore, shot an 84 Monday to tie her for fourth place in the first day of play. She followed that up with an 80 yesterday to shoot her into third place, one stroke behind second and three in front of fourth. Because there were too few women to field a team, Huppert had to win the tournament to advance to the NAIA Independent Championship in Bethel, In.

Kaydee Johnson, business administration junior, shot an 89/84 for 10th, and Laken Campbell, athletic training freshman, had a 117/125 for 32nd out of 33 competitors.

Huppert was second at the Baker University Spring Invitational in Lawrence April 21 and 22, shooting an 85. Johnson placed fifth with a 90.