By Katie Gomez

Steady drizzle and bitter cool weather didn’t pose a challenge for the men and women’s golf teams as they competed in Rome, Ga. Oct. 5 – 6.

The men’s team wrapped up their fall season with solid scores at the Chick-fil-A Collegiate Invitational at the Coosa Country Club, hosted by Berry College. After dismal golf scores from their last tournament, the men focused their energy and battled the weather to place ninth out of 16 teams.

Brad Sexson, head golf coach, was very pleased with the individual scores of the team. “Everyone really worked together and we had a good strong finish in the middle of a really good field of teams.”

Chad Richardson, business sophomore, stepped up and shot a 72 / 78 for a 150. This was Richardson’s first tournament to qualify for after taking a semester off last season and playing for an individual score at the team’s home tournament.

“It was an exciting experience. I played really well the first day and hit the ball the best I’d had in a long time,” said Richardson. “It was a great course and there was some good competition. We all played pretty good.”

After struggling with his scores for the past few weeks, Kenneth Wright, business senior, shot a refreshing 74 / 71 for a 145, tying for 21st out of 102 players.

“I felt good about it. I had some positives come out of those few rounds even though I’ve been struggling a lot,” said Wright. “It’s a good way to end the season so hopefully it’ll help me out when we start up again in the spring.”

Raleigh Hughes, business sophomore, shot a 77 / 73 for a 150. Bobby Weidner, business sophomore, was close behind with a 77 / 74 for a 151. Jared Paul, business senior, shot a 73 and a frustrating 85 on the second day for a 158. Overall, the team shot a 592.

The women also competed in the invitational at the Stonebridge Golf Course.

Courtney Huppert shot one of her best scores of the fall, leading the team when she shot an 82 / 79 for a 161.

“I’ve been working really hard and practicing a lot. I’ve been hitting the ball pretty well and my putting’s been good,” said Huppert. “I knew it was going to come eventually, but I guess that was the day.”
Lacie Holbert, communication sophomore, had problems focusing during the tournament due to a recent death in the family and ongoing therapy from spraining her hip flexor.

Despite her lack of concentration, she didn’t let it affect her scores, shooting a 94 / 93 for a 187. Kaydee Johnson, business junior, shot an 87 / 85 for a 173 and Laken Campbell, occupational therapy freshman, lowered her season average with a 116 / 110 for a 226. Overall, the team shot a 846, finishing last out of 12 teams.

Although the team didn’t place, Coach Sexson was very pleased with their scores. “The girls definitely shot their lowest scores of the season, so that was a good thing for our team,” said Sexson.

The women played their final tournament of the season in Oklahoma City Monday and Tuesday. They competed in the Stars Fall Golf Classic at the Lincoln Park Golf Course, hosted by Oklahoma City University. Results for the tournament were unavailable at press time.

Katie Gomez is a junior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at kathryn.gomez@sckans.edu.