By Bailey VenJohn

Hannah Mason, junior, looks to make the putt Monday afternoon at Quail Ridge Golf Course. Mason led the team to the title while taking first place individually. (Tabitha Larkin/Special to the Collegian)

Men’s and women’s golf teams swept the competition Monday and Tuesday. Both teams took the first place at the South Central Kansas Fall Invitational played at Quail Ridge.

On the men’s side of things Seth Bryan, business junior, shot a 73 Monday and a 75 Tuesday. His combined score was 148 placing him at the top of the leaderboard for the tournament.

Bryan was humble when asked about placing first, “It’s a confidence boost, but all we are concerned about is our team winning the designated conference tournaments.”

The Builders are looking forward to having a successful year.

“We have plenty of talent and if we play within ourselves we will be pretty successful,” said Bryan.

For the rest of the team Shane Gilbert finished just one stroke behind Bryan to steal second place.

Justin Churchill placed fifth, Luke Arneson came in eight and Kyle Karpe and Eddie Fahnestock shared 17. Jake Henson earned 21, Kyle Branine was 26, and Jonah Pfingsten rounded out at 33, while Steven Venn took 35.

The men’s next tournament is the Warrior Invitational in Hutchinson on Oct. 7.

Hannah Mason came out on top for the women’s team while Alyssa Richardson came in right behind her to take the second spot.

Mason shot a combined score of 158 shooting 80 the first day and 78 the second. Richardson ended the tournament with a total of 167, 84 on Monday and 83 Tuesday.

“The key to me winning was staying relaxed. I got angry at times but I tried to stay calm… I thought it would be possible to shoot some low scores this tourney,” said Mason, junior, about her strategy for winning tournaments.

Although the team had home course advantage, the weather was a bit of a factor both days. The Kansas winds didn’t take it easy on the golfers.

The team was still recovering from their last tournament.

“We were still a little down about losing our last tournament by 2 strokes when we know we didn’t play to the best of our ability. Having home course advantage we were pretty optimistic going into the tournament,” said Alyssa Richardson, communication junior.

The tournament was two days so the team had time to make adjustments as needed between days.

Richardson said, “After our round on Monday I know all of us girls had a lot of three putts and we were having some difficulty on the greens because they were playing different that they normally do but we just wanted to extend our lead.”

Placing for the rest of the team was Jackie McCauley and Jaly McCauley tying for 6. Hannah Watkins took 15 and Brenna Truhe came in 24.

The Lady Builders look forward to the rest of the season.

Mason said “We have a great team this year. It seems that our game has been improving and we need to keep the positive mentality going.”

The women’s next tournament is the OBU Fall invitational on Sept. 30.

Bailey VenJohn is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may email her at bailey.venjohn@sckans.edu.

B