By Garrett Chapman

The men’s and women’s golf teams kicked off practice for the 2015 spring season on Monday, Feb. 2.

Depending on the weather the teams may practice indoors in White P.E. or outside at the Winfield Country Club and Quail Ridge Golf Course.

“Currently the weather has been kind of cold, so we have been in White P.E. putting, chipping and hitting some full swings to stay loose,” said Hannah Mason, biology senior .

On days that weather conditions allow, the team alternates days practicing at Winfield Country Club and Quail Ridge from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Brenna Truhe, English junior, said, “The courses are always open to every team member if you want to put in extra work.”

With the season quickly approaching, both teams have set goals for themselves.

“Our team goal is to win a conference championship, finish the season ranked in the top 15 and contend at Nationals,” said Seth Bryan, business management junior.

The women have similar goals as the men’s team for this season. Mason said, “Our number one goal right now is to win conference a second year in a row and head to Nationals in Georgia.”

The men and women both have leaders on their team that will push every member to reach the goals they have set.

Bryan said, “Shane Gilbert is our senior leader, but we will lead ourselves on the course because it is an individual sport.”

The women have two returning seniors that will be role models for the whole team.

Truhe said, “We have two really great seniors this year. They are true leaders on and off the course. Hannah Mason and Alyssa Richardson are positive role models and give everyone on the team someone to look up to.”

The first test of the season for both Builder teams will come Feb. 16 when they tee off at the Claude Jacobs Invitational in Victoria, Texas.

Garrett Chapman is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may email him at garrett.chapman@sckans.edu.