The men’s golf team traveled to Fort Worth, Texas March 11 and 12 to play the 2012 UST Mamiya, Texas Intercollegiate hosted by Texas Wesleyan University at Hawks Creek Golf Course. This is the second meet the Builders have had this year. The first meet, the Swede Invitational, had them finishing first out of 11 teams.

“We did pretty well,” said assistant men’s head coach Tyler Lytton. “It was a strong course. Probably five teams are in the top 10 and 10 teams in top 25.”

The Builders finished 11 place out of 15 teams competing. Oklahoma Christian University ended up winning the meet.

Raleigh Hughes, senior, finished with 147 strokes, three over par, and was placed 31st place. “It was definitely a course where you could score well if you hit the ball good and played smart,” said Hughes. “The field is always one of the best we see every year, there is always several of the top teams in the country there playing.”

Jordan Lytton, senior, finished with 78 stokes the first day and 72 the second day. Lytton ended with six strokes over par placing him in 41st spot. Lytton was tied with other seven athletes.

Lytton said, “The first day probably was one of the worst rounds of the year, but the next round was one of the best round in the year.”

Chad Richardson, junior, ended up with nine over par and placed 58. Tim Jasper, senior, was tied for the 71 place. Jasper finished with 11 stokes over par, a total of 157 strokes. Shane Gilbert, freshman, ended striking 13 over par. Gilbert finished the first day with 81 strokes and the second with 76.

The golf team will continue their schedule on Monday March 19 and 20 as they host the 2012 South Central Kansas Spring Invitational. The women’s golf team will also participate in the meet, being the first one of the year for them.
Angel Vadillo is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at angel.vadillo@sckans.edu.