By Gabby Gamez

The 2014 women’s golf teams was able to claim the KCAC Championship last spring. The leader of the group Hannah Mason, business senior, placed 2nd at the 2014 KCAC Women’s Golf Championship with a score of 88. During the season, Mason was named Player of The Week once.

Mason said that she had been striving to be recognized since her freshman year. She said that she felt it was a huge accomplishment being recognized because the women’s team is often overlooked for different sports. She also claimed top individuals at the South Kansas Invitational home tournament.

“It was good to win and be supported. Bringing home the win at home made it that much better. Being viewed as one of the leaders of the team,” said Mason.

Even though she might not have a great stroke at the moment, but the next one is the most important one. Mason looks forward to this season to redeem herself and achieve that first place spot at championship that she was fighting hard for.

Alyssa Richardson, communication senior, was recognized for her academic and athletic achievements. Richardson was named NAIA Daktronics Women’s Scholar-Athlete along with seven other women in the NAIA. Richardson said she was really excited, because it is tough balancing school and golf all at the same time.

Richardson also placed third in the NAIA Championship. She said, “I was really excited that all of her teammates placed because of the tough conditions that we faced at the tournament.” Richardson reminisces that even though they achieved all these great awards her best memory in her golf career was when they won conference her junior year for was the first time ever.
The Men’s Golf team was equally successful this year by receiving the Champions of Character team award for the third year.
Shane Gilbert, business senior, said that it is one of the awards that he appreciated the most because it shows that their program is not only about golf being the most important thing.

Coach Sexson organizes activities for his athletes to participate in to show just how lucky they are and what a privilege it is to play at the college level. Seth Bryan, junior said that even if they didn’t win the award it wouldn’t matter because the golf team has a genuine interest in helping people no matter if they were recognized for it or not.

Gilbert was named GCAA All-America Scholar. With the feeling of accomplishment he shows that he not only meet his athletic goals, but also those of his academics as well. Gilbert says that achieving both of these goals shows volumes about your character as a person. Motivation comes from the feeling of accomplishment that he feels and also all the support that he gets from the community.

Seth Bryan, business junior, was named on the third All American team. Bryan says he was thoroughly surprised by the nomination. He said that it came down to him playing his best when it counted the most. The natural competitiveness within him motivates Bryan along with team mate Shane Gilbert there to support him when he needs it and always striving to become a better athlete.

Bryan attended the national tournament for the second time in his career. He made the most out of the trip though he did wish that he could have gone with his teammates. Even after receiving numerous recognitions Bryan is extremely grateful and leaves him hungry from more. Bryan says that he is still peeking and looking forward to the upcoming season.

Brad Sexson, head coach for men’s and women’s golf teams, was named the 2014 Coach of The Year award for the women’s golf team. Bryan said, “Sexson deserved this award because he really works hard in making them better athletes and people.” “Winning the coach of the year award is just a testament to the girls because they have paved the way, said Sexson.” He gives all the credit to his girls.

Sexson says that the success for both teams is a testament to the players before them and also all the dedication that they put in from the time they join the program to the time they leave. Motivating his athletes before major tournament invitational, encourages them to make the top five of the tournament.

Sexson looks forward to this coming season as the women’s team hopes to win the conference again and the men’s team has similar goals.

Gabby Gamez is a junior majoring in communication. You may contact her at gabby.gamez@sckans.edu.