By Rodney Marner

This week the Southwestern golf team will travel to Lawrence to play in the Braves Invite at Eagle Bend Golf Course.

“It is an okay course, not real challenging and is usually not in the best shape due to the heat from the summer,” said Brad Sexson, head coach. The tournament is hosted by Ottawa University.

The team will head out Sept. 18 for the practice round, but the real tournament will not begin until Sept. 19 and run through Sept. 20. They will play 18 holes each day.

“This will be my second time playing in this tournament,” said Hannah Watkins, communication sophomore.

Raleigh Hughes, business senior, will be playing in this tournament for the fourth time. ”Bethany will be the biggest competition, if they are there” said Hughes.

Hughes played in four tournaments this summer including The High Plains Amateur Tournament, sponsored by the Kansas Golf Association Aug. 27-28 in Garden City, Hughes won.

Watkins did not play in any tournaments over the summer, but did practice quite a bit. Watkins wants to shoot in the low 80’s in this tournament.

Hughes is hoping to continue his good play into this tournament.

This tournament does not count toward conference but will still be important for them to win. The team has had success at this tournament before. “Winning the opener would be nice for both teams,” said Sexson.

Rodney Marner is a freshman majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at rodney.marner@sckans.edu.