By Emily Braudaway

After raising money through multiple fundraisers, the Leadership team will be heading off on a service project to New Orleans.

The trip was originally in December 2020; however, due to COVID-19, it had to be pushed back.

It was originally then pushed back to May and then moved to late July and early August, right before move-in next school year.

This will be the first time that the trip will be held right before school starts.

Cheryl Rude, professor of leadership studies, said that they had to decide in January if they were going to go on the trip, and it is a high possibility of them going because of the vaccines coming out.

Brae Wood, director of Leadership Southwestern, said that everybody going on the trip would be fully vaccinated by the time they left.

Cierra Harrison, math education freshman, said, ā€œIā€™m looking forward to doing community service for the town after the hurricane devastation. We will be visiting a bunch of places that we have researched in our Service-Travel class this semester.ā€

On the trip, they will learn about leaders that emerge from the culture of New Orleans and will go on a little sightseeing.

Some of the fundraisers they had done were the fall and spring cleaning, Krispy Kreme Donuts and BBQ from Boss Hogs.

Wood and Rude both said that the goal of each fundraiser is to at least make over minimum wage. It would be fair to the leadership students so that it would make it worth it to not work at their own jobs.

Due to COVID-19, the only change that was made to fundraisers was that they could not do the annual garage sale they do every year.

The group fundraisers, fall and spring cleanings, are split up with the people that work for those projects. While the individual fundraisers, the students get a percentage of what they sell.