Caitlin Dyck, nursing junior and Kaycie Goff, biology senior, make a donation towards the Nothing but Nets fundraiser as Brae Wood, Volunteer in Service to America and Trevor Yingling, chemistry freshman, watch. Nothing but Nets organization donates insectocide mosquito nets to Africa. Each net cost $10. Andrew Oldham, assistant men’s soccer coach and Julie Wilke, VISTA volunteer coordinator promoted the event. The school raised $1500 which was matched by Bisop Richard Wilke. The fundraiser brought in a total $3000 which will provide 300 life saving nets for Africa.  Photo by Paige Carswell

Caitlin Dyck, nursing junior and Kaycie Goff, biology senior, make a donation towards the Nothing but Nets fundraiser as Brae Wood, Volunteer in Service to America and Trevor Yingling, chemistry freshman, watch. Nothing but Nets organization donates insectocide mosquito nets to Africa. Each net cost $10. Andrew Oldham, assistant men’s soccer coach and Julie Wilke, VISTA volunteer coordinator promoted the event. The school raised $1500 which was matched by Bisop Richard Wilke. The fundraiser brought in a total $3000 which will provide 300 life saving nets for Africa. Photo by Paige Carswell

An idea brought to campus cultivated $3000 and 300 life saving nets.

This idea was to begin a fundraiser for the Nothing but Nets organization which donates insecticide-treated mosquito bed nets to help subside the chronic spread of one of the largest killers in Africa—malaria. Each net is $10.

“I brought the idea to SGA during one of their monthly meetings,” Andrew Oldham, assistant men’s soccer coach said. To his surprise there was already a fundraiser in progress for Nothing but Nets.

“Bishop Wilke brought the idea to us,” Brae Wood, Volunteer in Service to America, said. “The discipleship team did one last year but it wasn’t as public,” she said.

“Julie (Wilke, VISTA volunteer coordinator) and myself promoted the event. I spoke with Dave Denly (women’s basketball head coach) and the other basketball coaches to see if they were interested in contributing,”

Once news got out, in typical Southwestern fashion many organizations came together to contribute,” Wood said. “SGA, Leadership, Phi Delta Theta, the First United Methodist Church and students at the basketball game all donated money,” Wood said.

During the home basketball games Feb. 12, Oldham and volunteer soccer players were accepting donations in exchange for free admission to the games.

“One woman gave $100. She said she hadn’t been to a game in ten years,” Wood said.

The event surpassed Oldham’s and Woods’s expectations. “I have never done a fundraiser for something like this before, only for soccer. But it went good,” said Oldham.

“It went really well, it was very successful,” said Wood.

After receiving the donations, Bishop Wilke matched it, bringing the $1500 raised to $3000.

Both Oldham and Wood both agreed they would enjoy seeing the fundraiser continue on to the next school year. However, this is already an obstacle.

Wood said. “Julie (Wilke) and I will both not have the VISTA positions next year so the event will have to get more campus support to be successful.”