Bruce Bechdel, played by Joshua Robinson, assistant professor of musical theatre, hands a silver kettle off to his daughter. Bechdel is the one of the main characters that the musical centers around. (Lauren Sieh/Staff photographer)Bruce Bechdel, played by Joshua Robinson, assistant professor of musical theatre, Alison Bechdel, played by Jamieson Campo, musical theatre junior , and Small Alison, played by Kathleen Miller, piano performance sophomore, freeze for a flashback. Flashbacks happen frequently throughout the musical as Alison Bechdel looks back on her life. (Lauren Sieh/Staff photographer)Bruce Bechdel, played by Joshua Robinson, assistant professor of musical theatre, and Small Alison, played by Kathleen Miller, piano performance sophomore, play ‘airplanes.’ The game ‘airplanes’ is mentioned multiple times throughout the musical. (Lauren Sieh/Staff photographer)Helen Bechdel, played by Telara Day, musical theatre senior, sings “Welcome to Our House on Maple Avenue.” Throughout the musical, we find out all the hardships Bechdel has had to face in her marriage to Bruce Bechdel. (Lauren Sieh/Staff photographer)Roy, played by Liam Cunningham, English and literature secondary education freshman, and Bruce Bechdel, played by Joshua Robinson, assistant professor of musical theatre, talk about working at the Fun Home. Roy is one of many lovers Bechdel has had over the years. (Lauren Sieh/Staff photographer)Christian Bechdel, played by Savannah Joldersma, marine biology senior, John Bechdel played by Mary Tyler, Whittier elementary student, and Small Alison, played by Kathleen Miller, piano performance sophomore, sing “Welcome to the Fun Home.” The song is for a commercial for the Fun Home. (Lauren Sieh/Staff photographer)Roy, played by Liam Cunningham, English and literature secondary education freshman, Small Alison, played by Kathleen Miller, piano performance sophomore, John Bechdel, played by Mary Tyler, Whittier elementary student, and Christian Bechdel, played by Savannah Joldersma, marine biology senior, kid around. This is the one of the only reaction that the Bechdel siblings have with one of their father’s lovers. (Lauren Sieh/Staff photographer)Joan, played by Elizabeth Santana, theatre performance junior, and Medium Alison, played by Maya Damron, musical theatre junior, sit on the bed while looking at a book. The book serves as a pivotal moment the Medium Alison realization of her sexuality. (Lauren Sieh/Staff photographer)Joan, played by Elizabeth Santana, theatre performance junior, looks expectantly over at Alison. Joan becomes Alison’s first relationship. (Lauren Sieh/Staff photographer)Small Alison, played by Kathleen Miller, piano performance sophomore, pouts at the thought of wearing a dress to the dance. This scene shows the first look at Alison being different than everyone else. (Lauren Sieh/Staff photographer)Medium Alison, played by Maya Damron, musical theatre junior, stares out into the distance. Medium Alison sang the song “Changing my Major,” which is a metaphor for changing her sexuality. (Lauren Sieh/Staff photographer)Alison Bechdel, played by Jamison Campo, musical theater junior, spreads her arms like playing the game ‘airplanes.’ Bechdel is trying to imagine the happier times when her father would play ‘airplanes’ with her. (Lauren Sieh/Staff photographer)Joan, played by Elizabeth Santana, theatre performance junior, Medium Alison, played Maya Damron, musical theatre junior, discuss the letter Medium Alison sent to her father while Alison Bechdel, played by Jamieson Campo, musical theatre junior, looks on. Alison Bechbel looking in on a scene is a common occurrence. (Lauren Sieh/Staff photographer)Small Alison, played by Kathleen Miller, piano performance sophomore, sings about a girl that she wants to look like. This scene show the first time Alison talks about her preferred style. (Lauren Sieh/Staff photographer)Alison Bechdel, played by Jamieson Campo, musical theatre junior, and Bruce Bechdel, played by Joshua Robinson, assistant professor of musical theatre, sit next to each other in the car. This is the first time the father and daughter duo talk about their sexuality. (Lauren Sieh/Staff photographer)

By Lauren Sieh

The musical “Fun Home” will be presented by the Theatre Department from Jan. 22 – 23 at 7:30 p.m. and Jan. 24 at 2 p.m. The musical is directed by Joshua Robinson, assistant professor of musical theatre, who is also staring in the show as Bruce Bechdel.

“Fun Home” tells the real-life story of graphic novelist Alison Bechdel. It focuses on her temperamental father and the secrets that he kept from his children. All while figuring out and exploring her own sexuality.

Jamieson Campo, musical theatre junior, who plays Alison Bechdel, describes the musical perfectly.

Campo said, “‘Fun Home’ is just a story about Alison’s life and in that her relationship with her father is a huge part of it. She’s always trying to figure out this balance for her life between who she is, who she wants to be and who her parents expect her to be.”

Campo said that they love the story in general and how it’s not every day that you see yourself represented on stage.

Elizabeth Santana, musical performance junior, who plays Joan, agrees with Campo.

Santana said, “I think it’s very important to have people see this kind of show and be like, ‘Oh, that person’s a lot like me.’ It’s very important to have representation that represents a diverse group of people.”

Santana also talked about what she loves about her character Joan.

“The way that we played her, she’s very independent, very head strong. She’s kind of forceful, but in a good way. She’s very caring, but doesn’t show it. She’s very confident, which has been hard to play because I’m not a super confident person,” said Santana.

While the musical has some dark moments, it also has some very fun and comical songs to break the tension.

Savannah Joldersma, marine biology senior, who plays Christian Bechdel, said “ ‘Come The Fun Home’ is a super fun scene. It’s just filled with jokes. It’s just a really campy song.”

Campo said, “There’s the whole song ‘Changing My Major,’ which I think is written hysterically. It’s a beautiful song, but the lyrics are about somebody having sex for the first time. It’s funny and you get to laugh about it.”

When asked what she would want the audience to take for the show, Santana said, “Diversity are within the people around you. Acceptance for other people’s lives. Keeping an open mind other people and their experiences and who they are. I think that’s very important.”

Cast members include:

• Alison Bechdel – Jamieson Campo
  • Bruce Bechdel – Joshua Robinson
  • Helen Bechdel – Telara Day
  • Small Alison – Kathleen Miller
  • Medium Alison – Maya Damron
  • Christian Bechdel – Savannah Joldersma
  • John Bechdel – Mary Tyler
  • Joan – Elizabeth Santana
  • Roy – Liam Cunningham