By Will Rosson

Nothing says Christmas better than tacky sweaters and holiday music. The Southwestern College concert band will bring in the holiday season Friday night following the annual SC Christmas tree lighting. The band will perform at 7:30 p.m. in Richardson Performing Arts Center.

The audience can expect to hear traditional Christmas songs along with some upbeat medleys all fitting the holiday season. Along with the music, some tacky sweaters will be on display too, as a competition among the instrumentalists.

“Let’s just say three words, tacky Christmas sweaters,” said Hunter Rockhill, music performance junior.

It will be the first time that a tacky Christmas sweater competition will be held on stage.

“It’s going to be funny, and I think everyone will get a kick out of it. I’m still looking for my sweater, but I know I will be wearing my santa hat,” said Brandon Blackburn, conductor of concert band.

“I’m probably going to check out the Goodwill store in Arkansas City, and see if I can find any sweaters there,” said Nick Hofmeister, music senior.

“I think I can also wear my grandpa’s old sweater too. He wore it back when he was in college and it’s pretty epic,” said Hofmeister.

Blackburn is ready for the performance. “We have been preparing for this since October 23,” said Blackburn.

“It’s going to be a blast. It is a great way to bring in the holidays. There are so many things happening with the SC Christmas celebration. It’s great advertising for the band, and I’m glad we could be a part of it,” said Blackburn.

“We’ve been preparing a lot of music for this concert,” said Hofmeister.

The concert will feature movements from Tchaikovsky’s” Nutcracker Suite,” “Festive Songs of Christmas” by Frank Erickson and “Winter Carnival” by Hugh Stuart.

Concert tickets cost $5, and students will have free admission.

Will Rosson is a senior majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at will.rosson@sckans.edu.