Lenita Krejci

By Lenita Krejci

Friendships take time. Just like a job or anything else that you want to maintain, you are going to have to invest in it. They also take consideration, love, and energy.You must give of yourself to make the friendship work.

It is all about investment and communication. Friends should provide a support team. To expect support, you must also be able to provide it.

This is why it is important to make sure that you are investing in your friends the same amount of support and time that you expect to get from them.

In any relationship, friendship or otherwise, you must weigh the pros and cons. If the cons out weigh the pros, then, most likely, someone will terminate that relationship. The opposite is also true. If you find more pros than cons, or if they are about equal, then you will likely keep that friendship.

Communication is vital. Almost any trouble in a friendship arises when there is a miscommunication. It is critical to always be honest and open with close friends. Honest communication is the key for a strong foundation. And with a strong foundation, a friendship stands the chance of lasting through all the storms that friends will face.

I like to think of maintaining friendships like working out. Although you may not always want to do the grunt work it takes, in the end you know that you will feel better about yourself.

You may not always want to go out and be social, but it’s the only way to get the long lasting results that most seek.

Although they take commitment and dedication to maintain, a lasting friendship is one of the most valuable things a person can have. While luxuries are nice, a long-time friend is far better in the end.

Lenita Krejci is a senior majoring in speech and theatre education and musical theatre production. You may e-mail her at lenita.krejci@sckans.edu.