By Josh Dolmage

Chris Collins, freshman physical education major, unlocked his car to grab his shoes only to discover that they weren’t there.

“I had to go to individuals for basketball practice and went out to my car to get my shoes, but they were gone,” said Collins. “I noticed my GPS and wallet were gone too.” His belongings had been taken sometime during the previous night, belongings Collins valued at $400.

There are video cameras in the residence halls, locks on all the doors, and security officers who are just a phone call away. Security patrols campus and tries to prevent any wrong doing. However, they cannot watch and prevent everything that happens on campus.

“Nothing like this has ever happened to me before, at least not where I had to have the police involved,” said Collins. “Sometimes my passenger side doesn’t lock whenever I hit my button (on the keyless entry remote), so they probably got in that way.”

Collins admits he isn’t sure how the car was entered. He said it was locked when he discovered his missing possessions.

“I didn’t know what to do, so I called my dad. He called my credit card company and had all my credit and debit cards shut off,” said Collins. “The next day I got my driver’s license back. I guess some woman had found it in her backyard.”
Collins’ father, Gary Collins, said he was intrigued with how easily his son’s car was stolen from.

“It was really surprising to me. To be honest, it was disappointing as well. I pay a lot of money for Chris to attend Southwestern and I expected more from the college,” Gary said. “(However), the situation was handled very professionally in the end.”

The situation was handled by the campus security. “They (security) couldn’t get my stuff back obviously, but I wasn’t really planning on getting it back,” Chris said. “They (security) wrote down what I said happened and I am not really sure what they can do. I’m not going to get my hopes up.”

Josh Dolmage is a junior majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at josh.dolmage@sckans.edu.