Led by a career-high 25 points from Annjelina Robinson, freshman guard, the Builder women’s basketball team improved their record to 15-5 and 8-2 in conference play with an 84-60 win over the St. Mary Spires on Saturday in Leavenworth.

Both teams came out looking good as the score was knotted up at seven early in the first half. The Builders then went on an 11-2 run and never looked back. They took a 41-23 lead late in the first half and went into the locker rooms at halftime up 44-29.

Miscues by the Spires continued in the second half. St. Mary committed five fouls in the first 1:20. With 18:00 left in the half, the Builders where in the bonus as the Spires continued to struggle with fouls.

The Builders looked impressive throughout the rest of the game—the Spires never got within 14 points in second half.  The final score read 84-60 Builders.

Robinson hit 10-11 shots from the field and 3-5 from the free throw line to lead the women with 25 points.  “Hard work pays off,” said Robinson.  “Everyone is always ready to play and we had to win.” Dave Denly, head coach, said “(Robinson) is going to be a great player over the course of her four years. She is the most prepared player defensively and she has gotten comfortable with her role on the team.”

The Builders had 20 points off of turnovers and hit 59 percent of their shots. There were 60 total fouls on the night, 26 committed by the Builders and 34 from the Spires.

The Builders’ next game takes place at 6 p.m. Jan. 28 at Stewart Field House against the Friends University Falcons.

Clint Dick is a freshman majoring in convergent journalism.  You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.