By Emily Braudaway

Brae Wood is the Program Director of Leadership Southwestern and she is also the wife of Joe Wood, head women’s soccer coach.

Wood has not only worked at this institution, but attended here as a student during her college years as well.

Her favorite memories from attending SC were the the discussions outside of class with her friends, teammates, roommates, and even professors.

“Those deep conversations across diverse topics shaped me in everlasting ways,” Wood said. “SC held the ‘right people’, the ‘right spaces’ and the ‘right reasons’ for me to grow and learn in beautiful ways.”

Some teachers inspired her to be in her current career.

“Claudia Geer, my psychology professor at SC taught through a personal relationship which I loved,” Wood said. “Steve Rankin, campus minister and theology professor, engaged in our spiritual formation with so much passion in and out of the classroom. Cheryl Rude has continued to always impact me so powerfully as a strong female professor who uses her gifts and voice to shape an academic culture full of high standards with rich human interactions. Those moments with those professors created relationship inspiring learning, passion engaging in expertise, and caring about culture. Those are strong markers in the student experience I hope to form.”

Cheryl Rude, professor of leadership studies said, “Brae shows a deep and intentional kindness for all people with whom she interacts. The leadership students and I are daily recipients.”

Wood’s favorite thing about being a mom is the understanding that love is a total gift of self.

“Being a part of God’s creative work and being a spiritual director for your kids is a special experience,” Wood said. I believe that spiritual direction changes the world in beautiful ways.”

What Wood enjoys the most about her job is getting to know incredible students.

“It is delightful having a privileged view of such an exciting time in their life,” Wood said.