By Korie Hawkins

“I got a real bad dead loving here for you, because I don’t know anymore how to avoid my own face wet with my tears, because I had convinced myself that colored girls have no right to sorrow,” said Loretta Devine.

“For Colored Girls” takes you on a journey of emotions and heartfelt events women experience throughout their everyday lives. Directed and written by Tyler Perry, composer and playwright, “For Colored Girls” hit the box office November 5th. According to New York Times, the movie is “specific in its pain, universal in its reach.”

Based on Ntozake Shange’s 1974, award winning Broadway play, “For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide/When the Rainbow is Enuf.” The play consists of over 20 poems that involve choreographed movements and music. The characters are all linked together by the color of their garbs.

Perry takes the most amplified moments straight from the play. He also adds his own connective pieces and characters, by shifting time to the present. All the women in the movie are linked together, with the exception of one, by occupying a Harlem apartment building. Perry stays true to Shange’s poetic movement by incorporating Shange’s poetry into the dark side of womanhood.

The film focuses on rape, heartbreak, disease, religion, infertility, and incest. It is full of hardship and the most awful misery. It’s about the root of womanhood, and how, through it all, women endure, and look forward to a better tomorrow.

“For Colored Girls” features Janet Jackson (Jo /Red), Loretta Devine (Juanita /Green), Kimberly Elise (Crystal/ Brown), Thandie Newton (Tangie/ Orange), Phylicia Rashad (Gilda), Anika Noni Rose (Yasmine /Yellow) Tessa Thompson (Nyla/Purple), Kerry Washington (Kelly/Blue), Whoopi Goldberg (Alice/White), and Macy Gray (Rose).

The film is rated R. Rotten Tomatoes ranks it in the top 10 box office hits for its second week running.

Tangie sums up the movie best when confronted by Juanita, “Being alive and being a woman is all I got, but being colored is a metaphysical dilemma I haven’t conquered yet.”

Korie Hawkins is a senior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at korie.hawkins@sckans.edu.