By Daegiona Wilson

Two conjoint seasons of football came to an end this Saturday, with the Moundbuilders defeating the Ottawa Braves 28-14 at AdventHealth Field.

With the Builders coming off a bye week, winning this game was crucial to enhance their chances at post-season play.

The Moundbuilders were able to put the first points on the board with an 8-yard rush from Keyshawn Wyatt, senior running back. The kick was good from back up kicker, Josh Carter, sophomore linebacker.

The Braves capitalized soon after, with a 3-yard rush from Dakota Lynde, freshman quarterback, tying the game.

Both teams were scoreless the second quarter, heading into halftime 7-7.

Brad Griffin, head football coach, said, with a slow start “I told them to stick together and keep fighting. Ottawa is a very good football team and we knew it wasn’t going to be easy.”

The Builders turned it around third quarter, as they totaled 21 points.

Griffin said, “We made the decision at half to just get downhill on them and run the ball.”

Wyatt played a big part of that as he had a game high of 153 rushing yards. Adding more rushing yards then Ottawa combined (140).

Defensively, Marcus Richard, senior safety, had a team high totaling seven solo tackles. Caleb Helsley, sophomore linebacker, ended with two solo and five assisted.

Scoring came from a 35-yard pass by Emilio Monsivais, junior quarterback, to Andres Jones, junior wide receiver, giving the Builders a 14-7 lead with 14:10 to go in the third.

Ottawa followed less than two minutes later with a 30-yard pass from Lynde, to Jermaine Ziegler, junior wide receiver.

The rest of the quarter the Builders picked up two touchdowns with a 9-yard pass from Monsivais, to Keyshawn Jones, junior wide receiver, and a 1-yard quarterback keep from Monsivais.

Not much action happened in the final quarter, as neither team capitalized on scoring.

This win brings the Builders to 7-2, and drops the Braves to 2-5.

The Builders will await playoff selection, April 11 at 6 p.m. To view stats from this game, Click here.