By Kaleb Vining

The Southwestern College football team hosted the Saint Mary Spires on Saturday, Oct. 24. The Moundbuilders’ powerful performance led the team to a 59-3 victory over the Spires, adding on to their four-game win streak.

The Builders opened the game with a commanding drive down the field culminating in Brad Cagle, senior quarterback, throwing a pass to Keyshawn Jones, junior receiver, for the touchdown in just under six minutes of play.

Freddy Botello, junior kicker, converted on his field goal attempt and pushed the lead to 7-0. Botello went on to have a perfect game converting on all extra points and kicked a 41-yard field goal late in the second quarter for the Builders.

The Spires were unable to get anything going on their first drive as the Builder defense proved to be too much for them to handle. The Spires had three penalties on their first drive and were just unable to score.

Cagle then connected with Andre Jones, junior wide receiver, for a 54-yard pass and a touchdown. This pushed the Builders lead to 14-0 at the end of the first quarter.

The Builders started the game off strong and continued the dominating style of play throughout the second quarter. They scored six times, one of which was on a 97-yard bomb thrown by Cagle to Keyshawn Jones.

Israel Harper, senior linebacker, was also able to tack on a one-yard fumble recovery and return for a defensive touchdown. These plays were key in pushing the lead to 52-0 lead for the Builders.

Meanwhile, the Spires remained scoreless after Cameron Hudson, sophomore quarterback, threw two interceptions and Franco De Luca, junior quarterback, added another one as well.

The Builders scoring eventually slowed as they only scored once in the third quarter off a two-yard run by Neal Gugelmeyer, freshman running back. This increased the immense Builder lead to 57-0 after Botello tacked on the final extra point.

The Spires finally scored early in the fourth quarter off of a 27-yard field goal by Chris Felts, freshman kicker. These were the final points scored in the game and the Spires’ only points of the game. The Builder defense held the Spires to just 127 yards of total offense.

The Builders dominated the entire game, but it was Cagle’s performance from the quarterback position that truly shined. Cagle threw 11-13 for a total of 321 yards and five touchdowns. Cagle said he owed it all to the guys he was playing with.

“It just came down to our offense having a lot of big-play players so that even when the play breaks down we can just go out there and execute,” said Cagle.

Cagle also said he could not have done it without the offensive line blocking well, receivers running good routes and especially not without head coach Brad Griffin’s game plan.

Keyshawn Wyatt, senior running back, was also able to tack on a hefty 144 yards rushing off of just 19 attempts.

Griffin had nothing but great things to say about the team. He said Cagle and Wyatt are just great players who put the work in and put themselves in a spot to be successful. Griffin also praised the team for a stellar performance as a whole.

“We’ve got an old team with guys who have stuck it out over the last three years. All the hard work that they’ve put in up to this point is starting to come together for us. They’ve really stuck with and believed in the culture we’re trying to establish,” said Griffin.

The Moundbuilders’ next game will have them facing off at home against the Sterling College Warriors on Saturday, Oct. 31.