Tanner Strohl, freshman running back, runs for the touchdown against Bethany in Richard L. Jantz Stadium Saturday. Strohl finished the game with 8 rushes for 41 yards and a touchdown. (Carly Budd/Collegian Photographer)

By Rodney Marner

Builder football came away with a win in the season finale Saturday at home. They beat the Bethany College Swedes 38-30. The Builders finish up 4-5 in Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference and 5-6 overall, three wins more than they had last year.”We improved from last year and all other previous years with Crandall,” said Corey Holbert, senior running back. With the win they moved Bethany out of the playoffs.”We ruined Bethany’s chances for playoffs that is a good feeling,” said Holbert.

The Builders ran for 249 yards on 49 carries, averaging five yards a carry.  The running game was there all season for the Builders who finished ranked eighth in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics. “On offense we ran the ball well this year,” said Holbert. The load was carried by three backs, Holbert, Cass Myers, senior running back, and Michael Haynes Jr., freshman running back. “We had a really good rushing attack with really three different running backs and seven offensive linemen,” said Ken Crandall, head football coach.

On the defensive side the Builders were inconsistent. “We were really just hit and miss, we didn’t do the right things all of the time and that’s what killed us,” said Zak Tazkargy, senior linebacker. One thing the team did do well was come up with big plays in key spots. “Defensively the ability to make the big stop when needed was key. There were several times we fell behind in games, and because of some big defensive stops we were able to get back into games,” said Crandall.

“My favorite part of this year was my interception for a touchdown that I got in Saturday’s game versus Bethany, because it was a huge point in the game and shifted the momentum into our favor,” said Tazkargy. “Homecoming that was my favorite part of the season. I loved playing Ottawa,” said Holbert.

It was a team effort the Builders put out on Saturday. “We really came together, it was a true team effort, and a great way to send our seniors off,” said Crandall. That was Crandall’s favorite moment of this season.

The Builders are graduating 11 seniors at the end of the year. “This is a great group of guys that have built a foundation for our 2012 team to build on. To say they won’t be missed would be wrong,” said Crandall. There will be some big shoes to fill at multiple positions for the 2012 season.

The win on Saturday it was a great way to send off the seniors. “I’m really glad I got to do that as a senior for my last game” said Tazkargy.

The Builders improved from last year and will look to do the same in the 2012 season.

Rodney Marner is a freshman majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at rodney.marner@sckans.edu.