Six touchdowns were scored in the third quarter of Saturday’s game between Southwestern and the University of St. Mary, four of them by the Builders. Those scores elevated Southwestern football to its first win of the season against the Spires 43-21.

The game took place in Leavenworth and was the first afternoon game of the season for the Builders.

Lorenzo Fouts, freshman defensive back, opened the game with a bang as he returned the opening kickoff back deep inside the Spire 15-yard line. It took just two plays for the Builders to punch the ball in the endzone as Cody Melby, junior wide-receiver, scored from five yards out. Austin Ledy, sophomore kicker, had the extra point blocked to make the score 6-0 Southwestern 56 seconds into the game.

A 13-play, 95-yard drive was capped off on a Cory Holber, junior running back; 1-yard touchdown run gave the Builders a 12-0 lead at the end of the first quarter. Ledy’s extra point was once again unsuccessful after the score.

Three turnovers rendered Southwestern’s ability to find the endzone in the second quarter. Following a 25-yard Ledy field goal, the score at halftime was 15-0 in favor of the visiting team.

It took 35 seconds into the second half for the Spires to come within one score of the Builders as Frankie Walburn, junior wide receiver, hauled in a 19-yard touchdown pass from Mike Keese, sophomore quarterback to make the score 15-7.

That would be as close as St. Mary would get to Southwestern as Wayne Clutter, sophomore wide receiver, caught a 44-yard touchdown pass from Jordan Barrett, sophomore quarterback, with 12:42 remaining in the third quarter.

The Builders continued to roll as they scored 28 unanswered points to go up 43-7. The touchdowns scored included a one-yard run by Barrett, a six-yard connection through the air from Barrett to Clutter and a 27-yard interception return by Macklin Nusz, senior defensive back.

The Spires scored twice more before the final whistle sounded, but it was not enough to stop Southwestern from getting their first win of the year.

The Builder’s offense looked more consistent than in previous games this year as they gained 405 yards of total offense and 23 first downs compared to St. Mary’s 281 yards and 15 first downs.

With Michael Coppock, senior running back, injured, Holbert and Cass Myers, junior running back, carried the load for the Builder running game. Holbert finished the game with 91 yards on 14 carries, while Myers had 18 touches for 55 yards.

Barrett had arguably his best game of the year as he completed 18 of 25 passes for 242 yards, two touchdowns and an interception.

Clutter ended the game with eight receptions for 137 yards and two touchdown catches.

Southwestern returns home on Saturday for homecoming against the 3-1 Ottawa Braves. Kickoff is at 1:30 p.m. Oct. 2 at Richard L. Jantz Stadium in Winfield.

Clinton Dick is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.