By Bailey VenJohn

Zachary Williams, business junior, participates in a Monday night rehearsal at Messenger Hall. Williams said it is more strenuous to do something that he is less familiar with, but it is fun and he enjoys the atmosphere. (Jonathan Woon/Collegian photographer)

Football and theatre are two completely different activities that have a lot of characteristics in common.  Both require teamwork and chemistry to be successful and make the outcomes effective.

Zach Williams, business junior, can tell you what it is like to be a part of both. Williams plays defensive end for the Builder football team.

Play rehearsal is quite a bit different than football practice. Williams said it is more strenuous to do something that he is less familiar with, but it is fun and he enjoys the atmosphere.

A series of events prompted him to audition for “Sweeney Todd.” It all started when Williams took a class taught by Allyson Moon, associate professor of theatre and speech.

Williams said “I started with the class Theatre Across the Disciplines. Allyson suggested I try an improv class. Once I joined that class it was just a domino effect into auditioning for ‘Sweeney Todd’.”

Williams will be part of the chorus for “Sweeney Todd.” The chorus not only gets to sing but they also have choreography.

Katherine Keene, marine biology freshman is the assistant stage manager for the play. Keene said that as far as she can tell so far, Williams is a good fit for the cast. He is a good singer.

Nervousness seems to affect most people who take part in a theatrical production. Williams is no different.

“I’m nervous all the time. It was terrifying and still is. But it is an adrenaline rush at the same time and puts a new aspect on how I see everything,” said Williams.

Roger Moon, theatre professor, said they were excited to see Williams at auditions. It was clear that he was nervous but he did a good job.

Williams is excited for the play and can’t wait to see how it turns out. You can catch him and the rest of the cast on stage March 1, 3, 7 and 9.

Bailey VenJohn is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email her at bailey.venjohn@sckans.edu.