Managing editor

The football team is in a losing strea. (Angel Vadillo/Collegian photographer)

The football team is in a losing streak. (Angel Vadillo/Collegian photographer)

Senior day wasn’t as memorable as the Builders hoped it would be. The team dropped their third consecutive game Saturday afternoon at home against the Tabor Blue Jays. The loss came at the hands of the second-ranked rushing team in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics, who piled on 315 yards on the ground against Southwestern in their 51-27 victory.

Tabor opened up a two touchdown lead before the Builders got on the board. Tyler Crandall, freshman quarterback, punched the ball in from one yard out to cap off a 10-play, 80-yard drive. The score narrowed the Blue Jay lead to 13-7.

From there, Tabor scored 17 unanswered points to close out the first half, including a 12-yard touchdown pass from Simon McKee, sophomore quarterback, to James Monroe, junior running back, with 10 seconds remaining on the clock.

Southwestern made things interesting in the third quarter, on two consecutive drives set up by Blue Jay turnovers to cut the lead to 10, 30-20.

Tabor quickly retook the upper hand, scoring 21 unanswered and eating up over 11 minutes of possession in the final quarter. A late 46-yard touchdown from Jordan Barrett, senior quarterback, to Skylor Kistler, junior wide receiver, was the only relief in the final minutes for the Builders.

Monroe lead Tabor’s relentless rushing attack with 18 attempts for 125 yards and two touchdowns. Monroe also had three receptions for 21 yards and a touchdown. McKee made use of his legs as well, rushing 18 times for 94 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

Crandall led the Builders in rushing with 19 attempts for 56 yards and two touchdowns. Barrett tossed two touchdown passes and one interception on his senior day, completing eight of 21 passes. Kistler had three receptions for 107 yards and two touchdown grabs.

The Builders close out the season on the road Saturday at 1:30 p.m. in Lindsborg to take on the Bethany Swedes.

Clinton Dick is a senior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.