Scoring 28 points alone in the first quarter, the Builder football team picked up their second win of the season against the Bethel College Threshers on the road Saturday 52-14. The win put Southwestern at a 2-6 overall record and 2-5 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference.

The purple and white scored on the opening possession of the game, driving 64 yards on six plays. The drive was capped off by Brady May, sophomore quarterback, 12-yard touchdown run.

The route continued as the Builders scored the next three touchdowns before Bethel got on the board.

After allowing 51, 45 and 55 points in their last three games, all of which were losses, the Builder defense surrendered just two touchdowns and 12 first downs. Bethel did not have an answer offensively as they went 2-13 on third downs and committed two turnovers.

Southwestern’s offense had one of their best performances of the season, racking up 553 total offensive yards, including 346 on the ground. They also had a season-high 31 first downs and averaged seven yards per play.

Cory Holbert, junior running back, continued his success for the Builder running game, carrying the ball 19 times for 132 yards and three touchdowns. Cass Myers, junior running back, also broke the 100-yard mark as he had 106 yards on 14 carries.

In his second game starting at the collegiate level, May tossed two touchdowns and no interception to aid in Southwestern’s victory. He completed 11 of 23 passes for 207 yards.

Jeff Schaefer, senior wide receiver, and Wayne Clutter, sophomore wide receiver, both had big days for the receiving core. Schaefer caught five balls for 88 yards and a touchdown and Clutter had four receptions for 80 yards and a 45-yard touchdown grab in the first quarter.

The Builders play their final away game Nov. 6 against the Tabor College Blue Jays in Hillsboro. Kickoff is at 1:30 p.m.

Clinton Dick is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e- mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.