Mathew Redding, senior tight end’s, 12-yard touchdown grab from Darby House, junior quarterback, in overtime of Saturday’s game between Southwestern and Bethany gave the Swedes the 41-35 win. With the loss, the Builders dropped to 1-5 overall and 1-4 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference.

Southwestern put on a show in scoring both offensively and defensively. Jordan Barrett, sophomore quarterback, hit Cody Melby, junior wide receiver, for a 30-yard touchdown pass in the first quarter to knot the game up at seven. On Bethany’s next possession, Zak Tazkargy, junior linebacker, intercepted House and returned it 44 yards for a touchdown to give the Builders the lead with 3:14 left in the first quarter. Tazkargy would get another interception late in the second quarter and return it 62 yards for another Southwestern touchdown. Barrett and Cass Myers, junior running back, both tacked on rushing touchdowns of their own from one and eight yards out respectively.

Both teams combined for over 1,000 yards of total offense throughout the game. Southwestern had 528 total yards and 29 first downs. The Builders also played efficient on third down, converting 12-21 third down conversions.

Barrett completed 19 of 36 passes for 299 yards and a touchdown before he severely broke his leg with 42 seconds left in regulation. Barrett was tackled as he tried to run with the ball. He was lifted off the field on a stretcher.

Cory Holbert, junior running back and Myers led the way for the Builder ground game as Holbert finished the game with 84 yards on 21 carries and Myers with 95 yards on 16 touches.

The ball was spread around nicely by Barrett to his receivers as three receivers had six catches each. Jeff Schaefer, senior wide receiver, led the group with six catches for 126 yards.

Nathan Richter, senior linebacker, had 16 tackles for the Builder defense and Tazkargy added another 12.

The team returns home for their next game against the undefeated McPherson Bulldogs. The game kicks off at 1:30 p.m. Oct 23 at Richard L. Jantz Stadium in Winfield.

Clinton Dick is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.