By Taylor Posey

Southwestern started their second race of the 2012 season at the Friends Invitational Saturday morning. Five runners finished top 10, compared to the two runners in the 2011 season at Friends. Jim Helmer, head men’s cross country coach, said “It feels fantastic to have more runners step up this year. They are more mature and experienced.”

Leading the race was senior Frank Adelman with a time of 25:15, finishing a whole minute faster than last year at the Friends Invitational.

Not far behind Adelman, Colton McNinch, junior, finished with a time of 25:45 that put him second in the race. Fourth and fifth place, Connor Drendel and Eric Lightfoot sealed in the top five with times of 25:56 and 26:03. Eric Anders finished eighth with a time of 26:26, completing the top 10.

Finishing within the top 20 were Sam McDaniel with a time of 26:39 and Trey Bruton with a time of 27:08.

Nick Warnke finished with a time of 27:43, Daniel Van Sickle 28:09, Christian Wacker 28:10, David Leonard 28:16, Caleb Jackson 29:03, Brandon Hatch 30:17 and Conner Barragree 31:18 rounded out the 14 runners for Southwestern.

“They figured out they can compete with anyone in the country,” said Helmer, when asked how the boys felt about racing at the Missouri Southern Stampede on Saturday. Southwestern will be racing against 35-40 teams, making Missouri their first big test.

You can catch the Southwestern cross country team this Saturday at the Missouri Southern Stampede. For more information and up-to-date results, check out www.buildersports.com.

Taylor Posey is a junior majoring in communication. You may email her at taylor.posey@sckans.edu.