Min Jiao

Exploring the themes of hunger through the lenses of the various social science disciplines is challenging 17 students. Applied Social Sciences: Hunger is being taught this semester.

Anjaih Clemons, Student Life Office Assistant, is the course facilitator. She said, “This class is different because I have never heard of a class for hunger. It would be interesting to see the different opinions the different departments are representing.”

Cheryl Rude, associate professor of leadership, is one of the instructors for the class. She said “We thought it was a good opportunity for all of the faculty and staff that might be interesting to students. It gives them something different to do and it gives us a chance to work together as a team.”

The class is approached from five different perspectives. One is psychology-related. The others are history, religion and philosophy, leadership, and political science.

Lindsey Wilke, assistant director of leadership, will team-teach a portion of the class with Rude. Rude said, “We are going to teach a section on what different leaders of organizations are doing in the world to try to answer or help or contribute in a positive way to this problem of hunger in the world.”

The class gives students an elective credit in social sciences and covers an important social issue. “There are a lot of people that are hungry in our world and it seems like there are lots of reasons for that, so we think it’s a really good thing for everyone to think about,” said Rude.

Alicia Barnett, elementary education freshman, said, “I went on a trip one year, and we dealt with hunger, so I have just always been interested in what the world and the people can do better to fix the problem of hunger.”

“I want to learn what ways we can all better the world to find a way to donate time and food.” said Barnett.

Clemons said hunger is not just basic lack of food and water. It’s talking about hunger in a political, spiritual and psychological aspect and how it can affect a region or the world. “I hope students take away the importance of hunger, and not necessarily what they’re used to hearing on hunger,” said Clemons.

Rude said, “I hope they learn about how complicated the issue of hunger is, and I hope they learn to understand hunger in a broader way than when they started. And I hope it gives them tools to want to do something about it. They can think about it and make decisions to help other people”

The instructors for the class are:

Ashlee Alley, campus minister

Carrie Lane, associate professor of psychology

Hannah Lann-Wolcott, adjunct professor of psychology

James Mastrangelo, assistant professor of political science

Phil Schmidt, professor of history

Jackson Lashier, assistant professor of religion

Graeme Forbes, visiting professor of philosophy

Cheryl Rude, associate professor of leadership

Stephen Woodburn, associate professor of history

Lindsay Wilke, assistant director of leadership

Vital Voranau, visiting scholar center for Belarusian studies

Min Jiao is a junior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her min.jiao@sckans.edu.