By Alissa Sheppard

Wholeness to Holiness: Mind Body and Spirit, is what it was called. First United Methodist Church hosted an even for women to find themselves in Christ.

“I have wanted to do something like this for about ten years,” said Stephanie Hobson, founder of event. She has always had a desire to gather young women who are struggling with everything from self esteem, to media, to how to become a woman of God. Hobson asks, “How do you live in the world today and stay pure?”

The events throughout the evening were based on how we can purify ourselves and follow the Lord. Starting off with prayer then everyone introduced themselves. Then the activities began. Many of the activities were to get to know one another and get to know who each person was within themselves. The women taught about fashion, the do’s and don’ts.

“The fashion show was my favorite part,” said Kaley Rodriguez, elementary education junior. She along with a group of friends thought it would be a good idea to go and see what the event was all about. “I truly learned what a relationship was and how to deal with the many different forms of relationships” said Rodriguez. She learned a lot from event. “It was nice to talk to older, more wise women about different issues that are going on in the world,” Rodriguez said.

The women were able to learn about the Trinity and tie it into their own lives. Leah Hartman, admissions councilor, led this part of the session. “I want the girls to know and understand that what they do to their minds and bodies, affects their souls,” said Hartman. She taught about how the soul matters and how it is important to keep a healthy soul.

Learning about the mind, body, and soul was Nikia Smith, musical theatre freshman’s favorite parts. “I found out how important it is to say healthy, not just eating right but all aspects,” said Smith. She was able to take in the advice from all the women and apply it to her life. Smith said since she is a theatre major she does not get to do much, but when hears anything about campus ministry she tries to join whatever activity it is. “I would definitely go again, and bring more friends along” said Smith.

This was the first time this event has been done, but the planning crew plan to do it again. Ashlee Alley, campus ministries, took part in getting college women involved in Wholeness to Holiness. To her this was very important, she wanted to help women express their gifts that God gave them. Alley said, “The women who led this event have a heart for young women to know that they are valued and valuable, and they have a gift to offer the world, so don’t sell yourself or God short.”

Alissa Sheppard is a senior majoring in communication, you may contact her at alissa.sheppard@sckans.edu.