By Kylie Stamper

Free movie Night at Southwestern is a tradition that students have been participating in for about ten years. It started at the Marquee Performing Art Center in Winfield, showing only three movies at a time. Now, students travel to Cowley Cinema 8 where seven to eight movies play at the same time. Brandon Hessing, Assistant Director of Campus Life, said, “Movie night has been here longer than Student Foundation has. Kind of like bingo night.”

The evening of cinema-viewing is just for Southwestern students to watch a free movie and socialize outside of the school setting. Hunter Rockhill, music senior, said, “You go and chill with your friends and watch a free movie and the best part about it is that it’s a free movie. You don’t have to pay for it.” Rockhill has been attending movie nights since his freshman year in Fall 2009.

SC movie nights occur once every month. Movie choices for January included “Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues,” “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty,” “Frozen,” “Lone Survivor,” “Saving Mr. Banks,” “Grudge Match,” “The Hobbit,” and “Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones.”

Marci Diepenbrock, Athletic Training freshman, said, “My favorite part is just getting together with everybody and seeing all our friends and just seeing everybody having fun and getting out.”

Student Foundation hosts several events throughout the year that allow the student body to grow together to become a Builder family. The monthly movie night always tends to draw an excited crowd and adds the little touch of community that Southwestern hopes to provide. Hayley Weston, STUFU President, says, “I like getting to act ridiculous and welcome people into the movie theater and just talking to people or seeing their posts the next day about the movies that they saw and it kind of creates like a conversation that any student can have on campus. If you don’t know someone but you saw them at the movie theater you can be like ‘Hey, I saw you at the movie.’”

To get more information about movie night or other STUFU programs, like or follow Student Foundation on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

Kylie Stamper is a freshman majoring in communication. You can email her at kylie.stamper@sckans.edu