Managing editor

An 18-2 explosion out of the gate catapulted the Lady Moundbuilders to an 80-63 win over Friends University Thursday night in Stewart Field House. It was the opening Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference game for both teams. With the win, Southwestern moves to .500 on the year with a 4-4 record and 1-0 in the KCAC.

Zefiryn Bryan, junior forward and Kaitlin Tennyson, junior guard, both had incredible games. Bryan scored 25 points and snatched seven rebounds, while Tennyson hit six out of seven shots from the field and put up 18 for the Builders. Sheri Zoglmann, junior guard, made good use of her time in the game, scoring 12 points and grabbing six rebounds.

Friends never led in the contest and trailed at halftime 42-23. They did chip the lead down to 12 midway through the second half, but a three-point basket by Zoglmann and two free throws by Bryan put the Builders back up for good.

Southwestern takes on Kansas Wesleyan Saturday at 5 p.m. in Stewart Field House.

Clinton Dick is a senior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.

By Hayley Weston-McClain

Women’s basketball began conference play Thursday against Friends University. Zefiryn Bryan, sophomore forward, and Sheri Zoglmann, junior guard, opened the game with six straight three pointers, giving the Builders a lead.

The Builders came back from losing against the Falcons both games last year, to win big 80-63.

Jessica Hobbs, sophomore guard, said,“We knew we had to come out and play hard, because that’s what they were going to do, we needed to get the lead early.”

Builders did not get comfortable after gaining a lead. The closets the Falcons got to taking the lead was 12 points.

Bryan had a career-high with 25 points, Zoglmann missed her career-high by one point with 12.

However in the locker room Dave Denly, head coach, said “in the locker room I told the girls that Montana Rickey, sophomore forward, was player of the game for us. She played very aggressively and got the job done.”

Rickey said that the women’s biggest challenge was guarding the inside. “We took care of that by playing as a team, and having great defense.”

Builders had 18 turnovers and 19 assists.  Denly said our goal was to only have 15 turnovers, but with a team this aggressive it is not surprising to have more. I am happy with how many assists we had though.

“As a team we have to work on us for the next game, not have as many turnovers, and play like we did tonight. If we keep this up no one will be able to stop us,” said Rickey.

The Lady Builders will host their next conference game against Kansas Wesleyan University, 5 p.m. Dec. 1 at Stewart Field House.

Hayley Weston-McClain is a junior majoring in communication. You may email her at hayley.weston@sckans.edu