By Amber Hart

What are you doing this weekend? Are you going to be sleeping in and missing all the events and activities on campus? Over the weekend of Oct. 21-23 the campus is going to be filled with fun activities and games for you and your family members and relatives.

“Family weekend is an opportunity for families to come and visit campus and interact in activities,” said Lai-L Clemons, director of Campus Life. “The campus is the most beautiful in the fall when the leaves are changing.”

The activities will start at 9 a.m. on Friday. There are three options to start out the day. You can start with buying some apparel from the Moundbuilder Market, attend classes with your student, or you can visit with the faculty, but you must set up appointment beforehand. Lunch will run at the usual time in the cafeteria. In the Java Jinx at noon there will be Pumpkin Painting.

“The one thing that I am most excited for is painting pumpkins with my parents,” said Bri Cathcart, biology freshman.

After pumpkin painting there will be a tour around campus for families and right before dinner at 5 p.m. the SC Band will play live music in the Java Jinx. Dinner will begin at 5:15 p.m. and end at 7 p.m.

On Saturday, activities will begin with tours of the campus and soon after the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Mid-State Classic cross country meet begins at 10:30 a.m. Then, before the football game against University of Saint Mary’s at 1:30 p.m. there will be a Builder tailgate in the Farney Family Plaza. The tailgate is a pre-game celebration that will have food, face painting, games, and prizes that anyone can win. The first 50 Southwestern fans to bring two canned goods will receive a ticket to get a caramel apple. Also, the first 75 Southwestern families and guests will receive a free builder tailgate meal. Students with a meal plan will be charged for a builder meal. The Tailgate will begin at 12:15 p.m. and will go until the game starts.

“My parents aren’t coming but I am still excited for the pumpkin painting,” said Nikia Smith, theatre freshman.

On Sunday at 9 a.m. there will be a worship service at a local church and once church is over come back to the cafeteria and for brunch from 11:15 a.m.-1 p.m.

Also, family weekend is not just for students and their parents and relatives. It is for any student who wants to participate.

Amber Hart is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at Amber.Hart@sckans.edu.