By Jevyn Voss
Staff Reporter

Classes have started. The Moundbuilding Ceremony is over. Fall Frenzy has come to an end and the excitement of going to college is beginning to wear off. Around this time every year students begin to feel home sick and miss their families.

The college hosts Family Weekend early on in the first semester to help students deal with that. Lai’l Clemons, director of Student Life said, “Family Weekend is a way for students to realize that despite being away from their family, their family is still there for them.”

Family Weekend doesn’t only help the students with homesickness. Brandon Hessing, assistant director of Student Life said, “It gives the family of students an insight of what is going on with their child at Southwestern College, to give them a better idea of where the classrooms are and the kind of activities there are at Southwestern.”

Students are encouraged to invite their families for the weekend. Erin Morton, President of Student Foundation said, “It will show your family how close we are as a Builder Family and it will give students a chance to take their family to class and meet their professors.” This helps the family to understand what it is like to walk in their students’ shoes up the 77 steps.

Family Weekend begins, Sept. 7 with parents and family members arriving as early as 9 a.m. at the Moundbuilder Market which is located in the student center, where they will receive schedules for the weekend.  Family members are also encouraged to start the day out in the classrooms with their kids.

As a break from classes, the students and their families can participate in Pumpkin Painting at noon in the Java Jinx. The Welcome Center staff will also offer tours from noon to 4 p.m. so that they can see the campus and experience what it’s like for students on the 82 acres of SC.

Saturday is when the family members get to experience what weekends are really like in Winfield. The Welcome Center will be opening at 9 a.m. offering schedules for families that did not arrive the day before.  They will also be given maps of Winfield, Ark City and campus, coupons, and local business and restaurant information.

Tours will be offered again on Saturday from 11 a.m. until noon through the Welcome Center. Athletic events will kick off at 11 a.m. with Builder Soccer against Southwestern Christian College. Women play at 11 a.m. and the men at 1:30 p.m. at Richard L. Jantz Stadium.

The Builder Tailgate party begins at 5 p.m. which will include face painting, lawn games, and giveaways. Builder Football begins conference play against the Threshers of Bethel at 6 p.m.

On Sunday families are encouraged to attend a local worship service at one of Winfield’s many churches and then attend brunch in the cafeteria of the student center.

Family Weekend is going into its fifth year and has been scheduled between Fall Frenzy and Homecoming to build on the atmosphere of making Southwestern College a home away from home. “It’s a chance for us to come together as a true SC family,” said Clemons.

Save the date announcements will be included in the parent newsletter, post cards that are being sent out, they will also be included in the Jinx Tale and posters that will be put up around campus. More details can be found at the Campus Life website.

Jevyn Voss is a junior majoring in communication.  You may email him at jevyn.voss@sckans.edu