Montana Rickey, freshman guard, battles with Bre Selves, senior guard, for the ball as it goes out of bounds. The Lady Builders lost 75-74 (Jonathan Woon/Collegian photographer).

With 0.9 seconds remaining in regulation, Zefiryn Bryan, sophomore forward, missed two free throws and the Lady Builders fell to the Friends University Falcons for the second time this season 75-74 Thursday night. Bryan was fouled by Abril Marshall, junior forward, in the waiting seconds of the game at Stewart Field House.

The Lady Builders found themselves up 74-70 with 35.7 seconds remaining and the ball in their possesion when the inbounds pass missed the target and rolled out of bounds to Friends. The Falcons proceeded to miss three consecutive shots, saved by offensive rebounds until Marshall connected with 11.4 seconds remaining to narrow the lead to two. Things took a turn for the worse when Kaitlin Tennyson, sophomore guard, had a miscommunication with Brett Bates, senior guard, on the inbounds, and once again the pass rolled out of bounds untouched. Sarah Munds, sophomore forward, made an easy shot and got the foul for Friends with 10.1 seconds to go. The foul was called on Kristy Herman, junior guard. Munds hit the free throw to put the Falcons up by one.

Friend’s only lead of the second half came on Mund’s shot from the charity strike. The Lady Builders led by two going into halftime 43-41 and found themselves up by as many as 10 in the second half.

The win puts Friends in the top position in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference and in the driver’s seat for the remaining five games in the regular season. They move to 17-8 overall and 11-2 in conference play. They hold a tiebreaker over Southwestern, who drops to 17-6 overall and 11-2 in the KCAC. The loss snaps a 10-game win streak for the Lady Builders.

Bates hit five of ten from beyond the arch and led all scorers with 24 points. Herman followed with 11 for the Lady Builders. The team hit eight of 15 three pointers in the first half, but connected on just three of 16 in the second.

The Falcons had their success down low, scoring 56 points in the paint. Marshall led the team with 21 points and nine rebounds. Abby Fawcett, junior guard, came into the game the leading scorer in the KCAC averaging over 18 points per game and finished with 16 on the night.

Both teams struggled immensely from the free throw line. The Lady Builders hit 13 of 24 shots, while Friends connected on just eight of 16 free throw attempts.

The Lady Builders next travel to McPherson to take on the Lady Bulldogs, who are 13-10 overall and 8-5 in conference play. The game tips off at 5 p.m. Saturday.

Clinton Dick is a junior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.