Brad Andrews, President, welcomes staff and faculty to the Service Recognition & Awards Ceremony. Andrews handed out some of the awards presented at the ceremony. (Taylor Rodriguez/Staff photographer)Ross Peterson-Veatch, vice president of academic affairs, gives a comical speech to recognize some of the new employees for the year. Despite COVID, the college had hired a fair number of new employees in many departments. (Taylor Rodriguez/Staff photographer)Dilini Fonseka,  director of the quantitative literacy center, stands after being recognized by Ross Peterson-Veatch, vice president of academic affairs. Fonseka was also hired as an instructor of mathematics. (Taylor Rodriguez/Staff photographer)Angela Holland, faculty assistant for communication, stands proudly after being commended. Holland is also the faculty assistant for the computer science and English departments.  (Taylor Rodriguez/Staff photographer)Mack Elder, campus security, stands after being commended by Keith McLaughlin, director of safety and security. Other members of the security team have been seen across campus at all hours of the day and night. (Taylor Rodriguez/Staff photographer)Lori Carselowey, director of career services, smiles after being recognized at the awards ceremony. (Taylor Rodriguez/Staff photographer)Melinda Current, professor of health & wellness promotion, receives her award from Anjaih Clemons-Williams, director of campus life. The SGA student body voted for Current to receive this award. (Taylor Rodriguez/Staff photographer)Brad Andrews, President, presents Kaleigh Richardson, assistant director of residence life, with her own Fassnacht Awards. Three Fassnacht Awards were presented at the ceremony. (Taylor Rodriguez/Staff photographer)Jayna Bertholf, assistant professor of accounting and finance, waits to be called to the podium to accept an award. Bertholf received the United Methodist Exemplary Teacher Award. (Taylor Rodriguez/Staff photographer)

Winfield, Kan., April 26, 2021 — Outstanding faculty and staff were recognized at Southwestern College.  Six awards were presented Friday, April 23, for outstanding service to the college, and 38 employees were honored for years of service.

Presented were the Fassnacht Outstanding Administrator/Staff (Campus) Award to Kaleigh Richardson, assistant director of residence life; the Fassnacht Outstanding Administrator/Staff Award (Professional Studies) to Jessica DeVader, marketing content and event coordinator; and the Fassnacht Outstanding Faculty Award to Sheryl Erickson, associate professor of education.

Floyd and Ruth Fassnacht established the Outstanding Faculty and Outstanding Staff awards with an endowment gift in 1988. Floyd graduated from Southwestern College in 1929 with a degree in chemistry. Floyd began working for Phillips Petroleum in 1940 as a lab chemist. In 1948 he became chief chemist in charge of all plant products, and assisted in the development of aviation fuel for World War II. He retired from the company in 1973 as assistant superintendent of Phillips Kansas City Refinery. Floyd and Ruth were significant donors to the college during their lifetimes, also providing a major gift for construction of the Beech Science Center, naming the Fassnacht Research Laboratory. Floyd received the Southwestern College Alumni Recognition Award in 1997.

Additionally, the United Methodist Exemplary Teacher Award was presented to Jayna Bertholf, assistant professor of accounting and finance.

Anjaih Clemons-Williams, director of campus life at Southwestern College, presented the SGA faculty citation during the ceremony. The faculty citation went to Melinda Current, clinical education coordinator and professor of health and wellness promotion.

Awards for years of service were also presented for:

• 30 years: Brenda Hicks, Martin Rude, Cheryl Rude, Kathleen Mignone
  • 25 years: Lisa Lowery
  • 15 years: Rodney Baker, Jeff Gile, Edward Loeb III, Nili Luo, Stacy Sparks
  • 10 years: Lisa Buffum, Sheryl Erickson, Zak Larson, Jim McEwen, Tamara McEwen, Keith McLaughlin, Alexis Miers, Pam Olney, B.J. Wilson, Marvin Wilson, Terah York
  • 5 years: Jayna Bertholf, Jennifer Biddle, Becky Burch, Brittany Donals, Doreen Fast, Kevin Frady, Kathryn Gomez, Sharon Krusemark, Wendy Moehler-Sieb, Nathan Morrison, Jacob Negley, Jordan Pond, Kaydee Riggs-Johnson, Connor Seaba, Jonathan Snell, Elizabeth Thummel, and Melissa VanSickle

Southwestern College is a private liberal arts college, founded in 1885 by Methodists in south central Kansas. Today its Winfield campus is the residential hub that guides students to lives of meaning and service, with well-rounded academic and extra-curricular offerings attracting traditional-aged students from throughout the nation and world. Southwestern College Professional Studies provides options for online students in any location and has been named a top provider for persons serving in the military. The college continues to be affiliated with the United Methodist Church and is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission to offer bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees.